Need Assistance with Cisco show commands

WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
I think my weakest point right now is when I am shown an output and I need to determine what command was inputted to get the output shown and also when given a scenerio when you need to see certain things, and then you are given a list of commands to choose from.

My test is in 7 days, so does anyone have any suggestions or references that will make learning this a bit easier? No matter how much I study or read I just can't seem to memorize outputs, and I am afraid that is going to hurt me on my test....

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    WilliamK99 wrote: »
    I think my weakest point right now is when I am shown an output and I need to determine what command was inputted to get the output shown and also when given a scenerio when you need to see certain things, and then you are given a list of commands to choose from.

My test is in 7 days, so does anyone have any suggestions or references that will make learning this a bit easier? No matter how much I study or read I just can't seem to memorize outputs, and I am afraid that is going to hurt me on my test....

First of all good luck.

Second, what I have been doing is first, not trying to memorize the entire output of any of the show commands (that would be different on a per router bases and I think impractical). Rather than do that I have been just remembering which show commands gives the most information about which layer of the osi model. Like show protocls = mostly layer 1/2, show ip interface and show ip interface brief= mostly layer 3(with some layer 4 info). using this method, I can tell you what information is displayed where just by knowing what layer of the osi the info pertains, does this make sense? Are you using equipment or a simulator/dynamips? If you are just practice the commands up until test day. I plan to retake my test (the first time it crashed on me) before the end of october and from now until test day I plan to lab, read, make notes, practice test rinse and repeat. It may help for you to do the same (if you are not already).
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    knwminus wrote: »
    First of all good luck.

Second, what I have been doing is first, not trying to memorize the entire output of any of the show commands (that would be different on a per router bases and I think impractical). Rather than do that I have been just remembering which show commands gives the most information about which layer of the osi model. Like show protocls = mostly layer 1/2, show ip interface and show ip interface brief= mostly layer 3(with some layer 4 info). using this method, I can tell you what information is displayed where just by knowing what layer of the osi the info pertains, does this make sense? Are you using equipment or a simulator/dynamips? If you are just practice the commands up until test day. I plan to retake my test (the first time it crashed on me) before the end of october and from now until test day I plan to lab, read, make notes, practice test rinse and repeat. It may help for you to do the same (if you are not already).

I am using Packet Tracer, no real equipment since I am in school and not at my house. My plan for this weekend is to use the CCNA Portable Command Guide and just practice going over the commands and reviewing the output.

Thanks for your advice, it does make sense and will make things a bit easier to understand.
  • human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    Just focus what sh command you need to do in order to get the information you want, not what a specific output looks like.

Focus more time on RSTP. and EIGRP-OSPF.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    human151 wrote: »
    Just focus what sh command you need to do in order to get the information you want, not what a specific output looks like.

Focus more time on RSTP. and EIGRP-OSPF.

+1, there are too many sh commands and variations of output.
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just make sure you setup a lot of networks in PT. Only after a lot of hands on with labs does it really sink in. I used the labs from the CBT Nuggets videos, Todd Lammles study guide and Chris Bryants study guide.
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    WilliamK99 wrote: »
    I am using Packet Tracer, no real equipment since I am in school and not at my house. My plan for this weekend is to use the CCNA Portable Command Guide and just practice going over the commands and reviewing the output.

Thanks for your advice, it does make sense and will make things a bit easier to understand.

WilliamK99,

Are you a student or alumni of the Cisco Networking Academy?
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    WilliamK99,

Are you a student or alumni of the Cisco Networking Academy?

yes, took it through the Army as part of an abbreviated course. Currently finishing it up, final test is on Monday.