access lists

wapaluwapalu Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello all,
i'm wapalu. will be sitting soon for the CCNA. can someone explain advanced access control lists, and any guides on where one could get some exercises to practice building access-list as a whole?
thnx.

Comments

• miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    What materials are you currently using to study for the CCNA?
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    wapalu wrote: »
    hello all,
    i'm wapalu. will be sitting soon for the CCNA. can someone explain advanced access control lists, and any guides on where one could get some exercises to practice building access-list as a whole?
    thnx.

Any study guide or CCNA book should have an extensive section on ACLs, also , if you google Access Control Lists, you can find quite a few links to help you out.
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Dude, just grab a router and start with
    Router(config)access-list ?

Worlds of options open up to you!
  • wapaluwapalu Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i'm currently using todd lammles 6th edition
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You really only need to know the standard and extended ACL's for the CCNA.
  • skwira001skwira001 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wapalu wrote: »
    hello all,
    thnx.

You mean extended access list. Standard access lists only filter based on the source IP address. Extended access lists can filter both on source and destination IP addresses as well as the source and destination port numbers.

To understand the wild car mask, you typically use the inverse mask. If you know how to subnet, you just take the magic number and subtract 1 from it, and you've got your wild card mask. For example, if you have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.224, your magic number is 32. Our wild card mask looks like this 0.0.0.31.