Kvm?

WilliamNormanWilliamNorman Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I had a question that i was hoping someone could help me with and give me a little more detail. I am in the process of beginning to study cisco. I have a Linux server, a windows server, a windows desktop pc, and a linux desktop pc. I have dual monitors and i was wondering which was the best way to connect all 4 computers to the dual monitors and one keyboard and mouse. I know it can be done through a kvm switch but i heard they give you a lot of trouble. I was wondering if i had all the computers networked together with cisco components (which i currently don't have), Could i use the Windows pc as my main pc and then some how remote desktop (have a screen pop up that shows me the other computers desktop) into the others to access them and use them? If this is even possible how much of a lag would there be when doing so?

Sorry if this is unclear but im not sure how else to describe it.

Thanks
Bachelors of Science in Computer Science - University Of Houston (Downtown)

Comments

• hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    It is possible and frequently done -- I wouldn't invest in a KVM, you can do more with VNC -- google VNC or "virtual network computing".
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you use a KVM or something like VNC really depends on what you are going to be doing with these computers. Since it sounds like it's mostly going to be studying various topics, there's a good chance you may be reinstalling OSes now and then. Given that scenario, I would definitely invest in a KVM. VNC is great for once you have the OS loaded, but if you need to do anything in BIOS or any other point before your OS is booted, you won't be able to access the computer short of hooking up your KB, Mouse, Display.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Some KVM units do cause a lot of issues but most are fine. I've got a cheap random brand one which has a button on it which switches the inputs and I've never had any problems with it. I decided against the ones which support keystroke switching like pressing Ctrl 3 times because if I ever play a game, it switches the session ><

If you're doing anything which requires the PC to be reinstalled often or not on the network then you'll want a KVM.
  • WilliamNormanWilliamNorman Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It seem like their are a couple of different VNC's out there. What is a good one that will allow me to use on multiple machines, with Linux and Windows, and has the least amount of lag? h
    Bachelors of Science in Computer Science - University Of Houston (Downtown)
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    It seem like their are a couple of different VNC's out there. What is a good one that will allow me to use on multiple machines, with Linux and Windows, and has the least amount of lag? h

Well, you should be able to find a VNC server for free that will run on linux and windows. Lag won't be a problem if you are local to the servers. The least lag, in my opinion, is terminal services (RDP), but that wont work on linux servers (or will it?)...

btw, that was a good point made by msteinhilber about having a real KVM so you can access the BIOS and do system reinstalls.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We use the Iogear KVMs at work for our dual-monitor setups. As long as you have the adapters and everything plugged in right, should be no problems.