Study Methods, "Shotgun" or "Rifle"

Last night, I did a marathon study session of 6 hours straight, touching on a variety of subjects, attempting to keep my mind fresh over a long period of time. I refer to this method as the "Shotgun" method of studying as you blast through the material attempting to go over a variety of subjects.

The other method, I use for studying is the "Rifle" method where I pinpoint an exact subject and focus all of my studying energy in that direction, learning everything I can about that area before moving on to the next.

I mentioned this today in my blog (ADDTechie if you are interested), and was curious how others go about studying? Do you Shotgun your way during your session or do you zero in on one particular area?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is your blog going to focus on ADD study techniques, or did you simply pick that name because it was appropriate (or both)? I was recently diagnosed, and I know other members who have it as well.

I start with the shotgun method. I try to learn the "whole picture" as fast as possible, even if the details don't sink in. I then go back and try to master each area; I typically rely on Transcender and hands-on exercises for this.
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    dynamik wrote: »
    Is your blog going to focus on ADD study techniques, or did you simply pick that name because it was appropriate (or both)? I was recently diagnosed, and I know other members who have it as well.

I start with the shotgun method. I try to learn the "whole picture" as fast as possible, even if the details don't sink in. I then go back and try to master each area; I typically rely on Transcender and hands-on exercises for this.

I have been diagnosed with ADD, and have a difficult time studying for certifications (Been in IT Field 10 years and have only A+, Net +, Sec + to my name). I thought it would be beneficial for me if I did a blog because a) It would keep me focused a bit better on my studies and b) I may find others with same problems who have different techniques on how to study with ADD.

My Blog is going to touch on a variety of subjects, and lessons learned as I go hard core into attempting to achieve Technical certifications and become an expert in my field.
    Have you tried Transcender or other practice exams? I don't soak up a lot of reading or watching CBTs. They're great because you get variety, and it's easy to sit down, do five or ten questions, and then repeat that in an hour or so. I probably rely on them more than I should, but they're the best way for me to learn.

I'll definitely be checking out your blog; nice work! icon_thumright.gif
  • grayfox587grayfox587 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i just found out i had add.......i studied so hard for my certs and it seems i remember nothing, it killls me inside, especially when i go to a interview and i cant answer the questions i once knew : (
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    First time I hear of ADD...after googling it, I might be suffering from ADD too !! wtf..
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Divine-AssaultDivine-Assault Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I usually like to study on a particular topic then move to the next. After I'm done studying all the topics, I just quickly review what I was studying to remind myself of the information and then I go take the exam. This method worked great for me so far.
    Currently Studying for: 70-291

Life is too precious to waste...

Check out my Blog! :D
    www.oreillybookreviews.blogspot.com
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To answer the first question, I feel it kind of varies from cert to cert and also what I feel like doing. I do use both methods. As far as the practice test go I try to stick to using those to find what I am weak in. For the most part I try to mix it up as much as possible.

As far as some of the underlying discussion that has been going on. I was tested for ADD back in 1st grade (1989). I personally find that you can learn to work around most issues. Also when I get into something I can go for hours, even starve myself just a bit now and then. Two of the key things I have found that make studying easier are make sure you enjoy what you are learning, and having a set of near term goals that will work toward a long term goal. Another thing as I stated above is to mix things up as much as possible. The same old routine will make studying drag and often slows me down.

One thing I have found recently not sure if this has anything to do with ADD but I have never been able to memorize a song. Some of the songs I listen to I have been listening to since I was little. I don't really understand that.

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in. Good luck on the blog.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been treated on and off for ADD but haven't been on any med's for a while, instead I try to focus more on ways to work around it naturally. It can certainly cause significant problems with studying, but in some cases for me it has helped studying if I am really hyperfocusing on something. I feel like I need to work a bit harder on getting the ADD traits I have under control, but I come from a family with a long line of mental health issues and bipolar is the common one and I've recently been diagnosed with a mild form of it. I suppose that would explain my bouts of hardcore studying and then lengths of time where I don't do much at all.

A few book suggestions for anyone diagnosed that is looking to learn more.

A good resource for learning more about ADD:
    Amazon.com: Driven To Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood Through Adulthood: Edward M., M.D. Hallowell: Books

From the same authors, this one kind of focuses on how some good things can come from it:
    Amazon.com: Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Life with Attention Deficit Disorder (9780345442314): Edward M. Hallowell M.D., John J. Ratey M.D.: Books

Great read on structuring and organizing your life with ADD:
    Amazon.com: ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life (9781583913581): Judith Kolberg, Kathleen Nadeau: Books

That's a good book (haven't read the others), and I'm going to throw my vote in for this one as well: Amazon.com: 10 Simple Solutions to Adult ADD: How to Overcome Chronic Distraction & Accomplish Your Goals (9781572244344): Stephanie Sarkis: Books

That one is very ADD-friendly. It's short and succinct, but packed with great info. I'd definitely start with that book, for anyone who's curious.

This is another one I have that I haven't had a chance to read yet: http://www.amazon.com/Stupid-Self-Help-Attention-Deficit-Disorder/dp/0684815311/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251567145&sr=1-1

I see some massive books on ADD, and it seems like the author totally doesn't understand his/her core audience icon_lol.gif
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    WilliamK99 wrote: »
    Do you Shotgun your way during your session or do you zero in on one particular area?

Actually sometimes I think I shoot blanks. But back to my study methods...
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I don't think I have ADD and if it barrs me from this duscussion, I apologize beforehand.
    Here's another method of studying for exams that I've noticed using it as of lately: it's called Empty Rifle. Some days you just don't feel like studying, other days you feel like you'd burn through several subjects like Orient Express. Some days you're just inspired, other days you're not. It's a pendulum...
    varelg wrote: »
    I don't think I have ADD and if it barrs me from this duscussion, I apologize beforehand.

Actually, I think you're one of the few that actually stuck to the intended topic icon_lol.gif
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Actually, I think you're one of the few that actually stuck to the intended topic icon_lol.gif

A topic about study methods becomes a topic about ADD by a bunch of people diagnosed with ADD...how ironic... :) One sec, gotta read this article in Entreprenuer magazine....

OK, sorry, what was I talking about?

Veering from the "rifle" methods, I have taken on that of slow but steady study method. I don't study too much at once, however I don't just skim over the topics. If I forget or lose focus (you don't know how many times I sat down to study and ended up watching Fresh Prince), then I study it again, and again, until I know it. Not the prettiest of methods but it works for me.