*********** for Security+

msbachmanmsbachman Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey,

Going over some of the practice tests with this "***********" thing, I just had a question as to whether or not it is a good simulation of the real thing.

Frankly, I think this *********** thing sucks. Some of the questions stutter like th. Most of them are so dang confusing as to make me want to push back my test date (once again).

And then there's the big question of whether or not doing practice exams over and over again actually helps...*********** really doesn't have that many questions, only a couple hundred or something. Can't tell if it's preparing me for the test or I'm just memorizing a set of canned answers.

On the other hand, I guess it would be good if every practice test question is as vague as possible, because if you can sort those out, you can ace the test no prob.

Thoughts? I thought I'd throw it out there. I can't afford to spend much more money on this thing, but if there's a better (free) alternative to ***********, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

-msbachman

Comments

• msbachmanmsbachman Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hope I didn't just break some forum rule I was unaware of. It took my ****blaster and turned it into stars.

My apologies if this is the case...I'll delete the thread if someone can confirm that this is not kosher.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you look closely, there's a hint that indicates that that isn't a legitimate study resource icon_lol.gif

Check it here: Search
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The domain of that name used to be a known **** provider..... hence the filter.

It may now be the name of a test engine that used in some books -- which is unfortunate marketing icon_rolleyes.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Alright I checked it with dynamik's link and it checks out alright. Confused.

So I'm talking about Cert Blaster brought out by "Course Technology" by Thompson publishing. Are there different sorts of "cert blaster" or what?
    Sounds legit; I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably just an overlap in names, like Mike suggested.

Check out Transcender, Prep Logic, etc. The Transcender ones are pretty cheap for 30-day online access.
  • lenmacpeilenmacpei Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why are they blocking (c)ertblaster, that is legit, it comes with all the Thompson books. I used it for A+, ; the questions were actually a lot harder than the actual exam.
    lenmacpei wrote: »
    Why are they blocking (c)ertblaster, that is legit, it comes with all the Thompson books. I used it for A+, ; the questions were actually a lot harder than the actual exam.

Beyond cert blaster, anyone have any thoughts on CBT Nuggets for Security+? I saw an excerpt of one section or something and it looked informative but is it sufficient?
    I think the nuggets are much less useful for more basic exams, like the CompTIA exams, but the info was good. It's a nice way to break up your studies if you're getting tired of reading.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    lenmacpei wrote: »

Mike answered that question already, please scroll up a couple posts.

And it is unfortunate they have chosen a name of a known ****, but so it goes. You can simply post that you've used the Thompson book questions to prepare and get your point across without looking suspecious though.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    [QUOTE=msbachman;340796...And then there's the big question of whether or not doing practice exams over and over again actually helps...*********** really doesn't have that many questions, only a couple hundred or something. Can't tell if it's preparing me for the test or I'm just memorizing a set of canned answers.[/QUOTE]

Well,
    I've personally never recommended anyone use Practice exams...for precisly the reason you mention...people tend to use them over and over and over and all that does is help you memorize questions and answers to that specific group and doesn't prepare the candidate to understand the material.

IF (and only IF) practice exams are used, they should be used as a tool before one begins their study prep, and at the end to gauge their level of understanding and see improvement before scheduling the exam.

So, I'd suspect you are not preparing for the exam as you hoped, but merely memorizing answers to material the author put together.

Up to you, but dynamik and mike have made some additional comments that are always helpful :)

Good luck
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?