Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is the DNS Server service running?
  • Options
    mallyg27mallyg27 Member Posts: 139
    dynamik wrote: »
    Is the DNS Server service running?

Yes, the DNS service is running. That event ID 4007 was pertaining to my old domain prior to running DC promo. After googling, I was directed to delete that old zone from the registry. So far i have no errors in the DNS log. The only event in there is event ID 2 and event id 3150. Thanks to all those who have helped me with this.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mallyg27 wrote: »
    Yes, the DNS service is running. That event ID 4007 was pertaining to my old domain prior to running DC promo. After googling, I was directed to delete that old zone from the registry. So far i have no errors in the DNS log. The only event in there is event ID 2 and event id 3150. Thanks to all those who have helped me with this.

Uninstall DNS, just in case. Reboot. Make sure your DNS server is still set as 127.0.0.1 for the server. Then run DCPromo and be sure to select "No, just install and configure DNS on this computer" when you are going through the steps. This will install and configure DNS for you.
    http://supportwiki.cisco.com/ViewWiki/images/5/5e/Peap-ias-6-100397.gif

After running DCPromo and rebooting everything nicely open the DNS snapin and create a reverse lookup zone. It's not required, but it is good to do this so you don't get an annoying error using NSlookup. Create a PTR record for your server.

Now, before you do anything else be sure you take these steps:

Open a command prompt.
    1. Ping mydomain.local (or whatever your domain name is). DO NOT ping just mydomain.
    2. start nslookup and make sure you get this in reply

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\user>nslookup
    Default Server: servername.mydomain.local
    Address: 192.168.1.101

>

Then do this again:
    Type: set q=srv
    Type: _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain.local

Your output should look something like this:

> set q=srv
    > _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain.local
    Server: servername.mydomain.local
    Address: 192.168.1.101
    _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain.local SRV service location:
    priority = 0
    weight = 100
    port = 389
    svr hostname = servername.mydomain.local
    servername.mydomain.local internet address = 192.168.1.101
    >

If you get any sort of error message, post it. If you do not get any error messages, go ahead and add the client computers to the domain and create your GPOs.