Graduate resume critique required

Miikey87Miikey87 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Good afternoon all,

So I am in the middle of backpacking and while it is pouring with rain outside in Birmingham I have already begun updating my resume and looking for jobs over here in the United Kingdom to begin early next year.

I have included a copy of my current resume (formatting aside) which I would like to use to look for jobs as a Junior Business Analyst or possibly into the Networking Arena.

What do you think of the current state of this document, is it too brief and bland? To a potential employer this would be supplied along with a covering letter tailored to the position that I would be applying for (still working on this document at the moment).

In the interview I would have my portfolio with me; my referee contact list, my two character/job references, a copy of my degree and academic record, my memberships and certifications. Is this what would be considered standard practice to bring to the interview?

I’m ready for criticism whether it is good or bad.

Cheers,

Michael
(It fits at just under two pages)

Michael *******
Curriculum Vitae

Personal Profile
I am hard working, team orientated and confident recent university graduate with a years experience as a part time junior IT support officer looking to further develop my skill set and begin my career as a <INSERT TITLE>.

Personal Details

Nationality: Australian
Date of Birth: **th December ****
Drivers License: Full clean license
Telephone Number: ***** ******
Email Address: ************************
UK Visa: Expiry: **********************

Skills

- Goal Orientated
- Hard Working
- Fast learner
- Reliable
- Confidence
- Team member
- Problem Solving
- Public Speaking

Memberships

Australian Computer Society – Provisional Membership, Valid until February 2010

Certification

Cisco Certified Entry Level Network Technician (CCENT) – Valid February 18th 2012

Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) – Valid February 18th 2012

Education
2005 – 2008
Murdoch University, Western Australia
Bachelor of Science
Major: Information Systems Development
Internet Computing
Minor: Fundamentals of Networking

Employment History

Information Technology Support Officer
January 2008 – February 2009
Duties: Workstation support, Small Business Server Administration, Exchange Server Administration, Information Systems Documentation, In-house Database development, Adhoc Queries, Website maintenance

Decorator, Register and Garden Team Member and Night Fill Team leader positions
December 2006 – June 2009
Duties: Paint and accessory advice, tinting, money handling, customer assistance, stock fill and other duties as required

Casual Employee
December 2001 – November 2006
Duties: Ordering, stock take, money handling, customer service, cleaning, opening and closure of the store

Interests and Hobbies
- 3D animation and special effects
- Travel
:study: - Never stop learning

Completed
Microsoft: 70-640,70-642, 70-646, 70-652, 70-653, 70-662, 70 - 681, 71-169
Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
Citrix - CCA XenApp 6

Comments

• Miikey87Miikey87 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmmm

I am now thinking that I should change some of the skills and maybe put in a bit of what I have learnt while at University (databases, programming languages, etc etc). But then again how many languages did we touch on, classes we have taken etc, what to leave in and what to leave out?

Completed
    Citrix - CCA XenApp 6
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Miikey87 wrote: »
    Hmmm
    I am now thinking that I should change some of the skills and maybe put in a bit of what I have learnt while at University (databases, programming languages, etc etc). But then again how many languages did we touch on, classes we have taken etc, what to leave in and what to leave out?

At least in the US, University CS/CIS/IS/MIS programs can vary greatly from one program to another. I would expand on your major, information systems development, with some specifics -- i.e. software engineering, project management, systems analysis -- just to make things more clear. Maybe that's just me -- but the BA/BS curriculums are almost as diverse as the quality of the graduates. Wasn't it Fred Brooks in The Mythical Man Month (early 1970's) who did research on programmer quality and found 27 fold variance in productivity between good programmers and bad ones? Anyway, I would expand on the specifics of the degree.
  • Miikey87Miikey87 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Hypnotoad,

That is a good idea I will make changes to outline the contents of the majors a bit more, mine was more focused on project management and systems analysis without too much heavy programming involved.

Cheers for the reply!

Completed
    Citrix - CCA XenApp 6