Sitting ICND2 September 7th

davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi All,

My exam is just around the corner, just wanted to get some last minute advice on a couple of things and to also thank you all for all the help advice you have given me both directly and indirectly, please know that it is very much appreciated.

My preparation so far has been good. I have been using the Train Signal videos and the ICND2 Official guide by wendell odom. I am reading the book word for word and am currently on part 4 on WAN technologies ch 12. I plan to finish the book this week and then do the Boson practice test next week to see my weak areas and to perfect my time management. My subnetting is good, I can do questions on the subbnettingquestions.com website in about 15sec on average.

My question, do you guys have any advice for me as I am now experiencing the same doubtful feeling that I had before I sat the ICND1. FYI this is my first (and hopefully last) attempt at the ICND2 exam.

Thanks again for all your help, to be honest, this site is the most useful resource for studying for IT certification exams I have come across. Why, because we build on each others weakness, help those who legitimately ask for help and suggest material and methods to others if we think it helpd us! Keep it up TECHEXAMS!!!

Kind Regards,
David
Failure is a stepping stone to success...

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Last minute advice... Get as MUCH hands on as possible. Even if you need to use GNS3, at least get on the command line and get comfortable with syntax. Good luck!

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, check out the CCNA Portable Command Guide as well. That's what I'm working through at the moment.
  • human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    YOu might want to pick up the EXAM Cram CCNA. I read that in the days before my test and it seemed to help. I really didnt bother too much with the practice tests tbh. I kept scoring 70% to 80% consistenly so I just stopped using them. lol, apparrently they are harder than the real test, atleast to me.

And keep practicing on your home lab, if you have one.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Peanut-Will be getting some hands on this weekend hopefully if I am not too busy! Will try my hardest though.

Dynamik-I saw that somewhere, I think one of my friends has a hardcopy of that, will hunt him down and borrow it. I 'think' he has the second edition. Is that the same one you are using?

Human151-I noticed that with the ICND1. I was hitting high eighties with the boson test and scored a 958 in the real exam. Also, dont have a home lab...yet. I study using GNS3 and router IOS from work.

I work at an ISP so it is quite easy to gain access to hardware to play with *cough* I mean study with. I am planning to setup a 5 router multiple area OSPF lab network with route aggregation between areas, NAT and ACLs that will work over frame relay during the weekend for practice. I will design the whole network IP addressing scheme and configs for the routers and frame relay switch for practice.

Thanks for all your responses!!!

Regards,
    David
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Good luck on your exam man, let us know the results!
  • rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    Hey David,

Make sure you score well on the "do i know this material" quiz before each chapter. If you score 90% or better then you're on your way to a great test! Also try to scour some free practice exams online.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try Packet Tracer 5.2 by Cisco. It's as good as GNS3, in my opinion. Better in some areas. You can actually slow down packet movement and observe the layer process and appropriate header information. But you REALLY have to disable the sound, quite annoying.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You really need A LOT of hands on before doing the exams and the best way to do that for the CCNA level is to use something like Packet Tracer.

Knowing the theory is one thing but you really need to apply it in a hands on situation for it to really sink in.

In my opinion Packet Tracer is the best tool there is for the CCNA. I would have been lost without it and the best thing about is that it is so easy to use.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My question, do you guys have any advice for me as I am now experiencing the same doubtful feeling that I had before I sat the ICND1.
    Don't worry about it - that feeling goes away after about 15 exams :D along with the exam adrenaline rush. icon_sad.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • tuscanituscani Member Posts: 121
    See my passed thread for things to know... subnetting and layer 2 switching (STP, VTP, Etc). will be the most important
    billscott92787- Thanks mate, trust me, you guys will be the first to know!

rowelld- Thanks. I do the questions before and after I read the chapters throughly, also found an exam online at mcmcse.com. The site is okay for practice exams but their forums are empty.

bgrablin- LOL I got the same comment from a mate of mine he said the sound effects suck! I havent heard them yet (havent played with PT yet either). I will have to check it out though. Is it any good for CCNP studies?

mella060- I know, so many people tell me the same thing (both on the forums and in real life). I will be getting hands on with the equipment here in the office but the slow down feature that bgrablin was talking about sounds really usefull to see how a packet traverses the network.

mikej412- A big THANKYOU to the pillar of strength and light of inspiration for everyone pursuing Cisco related exams on this forum. Thanks heaps Mike. Your experience alone is an encouragement to newbies like myself and many others on this forum.

justindu- Saw your post. Firstly Congrats! Thanks for the heads up, I know heard Cisco is going big on the switching in this exam, much more than ICND1. I will be studying all the topics you stated and will revise accordingly.

Thanks again guys... for everything

Regards,
    David
  • hooklowhooklow Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used same materials as you and would say that hands-on will do wonders test time, I went in for both (ICND1&2) thinking I would fail and was proven wrong on each ocasion, work hard till T-2, T-1 light review and good night sleep, test day game face on
    good luck
    Hooklow- Thanks for the encouragment. Will have my game face on... next monday...exam is only seven days away... im afraid...very afraid...
  • trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    next monday...exam is only seven days away... im afraid...very afraid...

lol :) You talk like you will die if you fail... its just an exam, everybody fails once in a while ;)
    ...i know...but i would pefer not failing...you know? But thanks for the advice!!!

Regards,
    David
    yeah i know :) i just wanted to say that dont make it "life and death" situation for you, you will be too tense and boggled up if you do. Just relax, be cool and think along the lines "i know the material and i will pass the exam!! and even if i dont, then hey.. no biggie..." ;)
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck! Make sure you have your subnetting nailed down and keep an eye on the time!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    trackit- Thanks! Should be no bigge if I fail...but I wont...hopefully...

nel- Thanks for the reminder, I understand that time management is very important in certification exams.

Thanks again everyone!!! Six days and counting... Also finished the book last night!!! What a read!!! IPv6 is a killer!

Regards,
    David
    Reading Review Chapters throughout the weekend!!! Should be okay for Monday...

I sit the exam at 11:00am so I can get some last study hours in...

Wish me luck...

Regards,
    David
    good luck :)

let us know how you do... i want to pass my ICND2 this month also.
  • dave151dave151 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was scoring 70 to 80% on the boson exam and that was what worried me about the exam. I found all the practice stuff harder then the exam. Cisco makes there exams straightforward and tests you on knowledge instead of trying to trick you.

I do agree about scoring well on the pre chapter questions though.

GOOD LUCK, don't worry about your nerves. I was nervous all morning and about an hour before the exam I sat and had a coffee while I read over my notes. That seemed to make the nervousness fade away.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    If it is broke, did you try to fix it?
    Thanks Guys!

Exam is in 2.5 Hrs from now..... I need a coffee.......

Will be reading notes for the rest of the morning.....

I hope I pass....................
    Im going to the testing center now... Will see you guys after and update you all on what happened... I hope I pass!!!!

Regards,
    David