Passed MPLS, CCIP Complete

kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
Well, after procrastinating for about four months I finally took the MPLS exam today and scored a 914.

I found the sims to be quite fun. Interestingly I did pretty poorly on the MPLS Fundementals section and very well on everything else. How does that work? I don't know what this MPLS thing is, but I can configure and troubleshoot it no problem? :)

My resources were MPLS Fundamentals, MPLS and VPN Architectures Vol. I (I have Vol II but found it wasn't necessary), and ElementK's Implementing Cisco MPLS online course. I found little use for MPLS and VPN Architectures since it is somewhat old and talks mainly about TDP, MPLS Fundamentals had just about everything I needed to know.

A tip for prospective 642-611 takers, find the course outline for the Implementing Cisco MPLS 2.2 course and supplement the exam objectives with the topics on the course outline, the official exam objectives seem to be out of date.

I'm happy to have finished my CCIP today as I'm starting at WGU next week and didn't want to continue to put off the MPLS exam.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!

Who cares about the fundamentals anyway icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

The MPLS exam seems to be an exam where anything casually mentioned or hinted at in the Exam Description section of the Exam Blueprint is fair game on the exam, even if it's never actually mentioned again under the Exam Topics section. icon_eek.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks guys!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    The MPLS exam seems to be an exam where anything casually mentioned or hinted at in the Exam Description section of the Exam Blueprint is fair game on the exam, even if it's never actually mentioned again under the Exam Topics section. icon_eek.gif

It feels as though they forgot about this exam. The current Implementing Cisco MPLS course doesn't even cover LC-ATM, I thought the official courses were aimed at exam prep, but maybe I'm wrong. I had couple weird questions that had such bad typos that it was impossible to pick a correct answer, hopefully that was just a poorly screened beta question.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Who cares about fundamentals when there is so much cool advanced stuff to play with?icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Congrats!icon_thumright.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Congrats man! Well done and good luck on the future studies.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • liquid6liquid6 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!
    blog.insomniacnetwork.com
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratz!

Looking at CCDP in the future?
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Congratz :)

I've got all the books you mentioned above as well... so far found MPLS Fundamentals a very worthy addition to my library also!

Now to get my butt into gear and sit the exam.... after my Singapore F1 holiday of course!

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    congrats on the test and the CCIP! I have to say that certification was one of my favorite to get (maybe because of my SP background). What did you think about it compared to your other certs? good luck on your future studies!
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks!
    wastedtime wrote: »
    Looking at CCDP in the future?

I definitely want to do CCDP at some point, but I'm focusing on my WGU courses right now.
    congrats on the test and the CCIP! I have to say that certification was one of my favorite to get (maybe because of my SP background). What did you think about it compared to your other certs? good luck on your future studies!

I really enjoyed doing CCIP. Going in depth on one subject is much more to my liking than the NP track's many subjects per exam. It would be hard to say whether I enjoyed VCP or CCIP more, but they're both full of fun technologies. In the end, as much as I like virtualization I think SP networking is what I'm most interested in. (I wonder if there is a career that combines those two, seems unlikely...)
  • kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103
    Congrats buddy!