Options

redundancy between mpls and frame relay

fightclub34fightclub34 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am looking for some ideas on how to accomplish redundancy on our wan. Currently we have 3 sites with a full mpls mesh between all 3 sites. We also have a frame relay circuit for backup purposes. We do not want to load balance the only time we want to use the frame is for automated failover when the mpls is down. What would be considered best practice for this. Our mpls will only accept bgp. I am not that familiar with bgp if we used bgp for mpls how would we get our connected/static routes accross to the other sides

Comments

• Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am looking for some ideas on how to accomplish redundancy on our wan. Currently we have 3 sites with a full mpls mesh between all 3 sites. We also have a frame relay circuit for backup purposes. We do not want to load balance the only time we want to use the frame is for automated failover when the mpls is down. What would be considered best practice for this. Our mpls will only accept bgp. I am not that familiar with bgp if we used bgp for mpls how would we get our connected/static routes accross to the other sides

Are you using separate routers here for the MPLS and the FR connections? how is the routing setup on the Frame Relay network?

You could use HSRP on the LAN interfaces at each site and set the priority higher on the MPLS circuit than the Frame Relay circuit router but depends on FR config.

So something along the lines of the following for HSRP

MPLS Router

int fa0
    ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0
    standby 1 ip 10.1.1.1 (this would be the default gateway for your LAN)
    standby 1 priority 105 (sets priority higher and makes this exit path preferred)
    standby 1 preempt
    standby 1 track serial 0/0

FR Router

int fa0
    ip address 10.1.1.3 255.255.255.0
    standby 1 ip 10.1.1.1 (this would be the default gateway for your LAN)
    standby 1 preempt

It really depends on how the network is setup. You could also look into things like ibgp and route redistribution, there's many ways to skin a cat as they say in the trade.
  • Options
    fightclub34fightclub34 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Right now both frame and mpls terminate to the same 6509 may be different later. We are using flex wan cards. We can send eigrp across the frame relay but that does us no good because the mpls circuit will not allow any routing protocols except bgp. A couple of things i am thinking about are the following

SLA tracking
    BGP over the mpls cloud not sure how to advertise local networks i do not want to redistribute
    gre tunnels across the mpls

I am looking for the overall best solution to use.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You could just use some floating statics with SLA tracking.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Networking is more of a hobby for me than a profession, so I'm not sure how well this would work. Could you run EIGRP over the frame relay network and redistribute the MPLS learned BGP routes in to EIGRP with better metric than those learned over frame relay?

EDIT: The routing updates would probably have to be filtered so a loop wouldn't be created.