CCNA to CCIP or do I have to be a CCNP 1st?

We deal with MPLS on a regular. I would rather go straight for my CCIP. Is CCNP required 1st?

Comments

• flipmadflipmad Member Posts: 184
    sorry it was right in front of my nose on the Cisco website

CCIP Prerequisites
    Valid CCNA required.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    blake15 wrote: »
    We deal with MPLS on a regular. I would rather go straight for my CCIP. Is CCNP required 1st?

No the CCNP is not required. I'd suggest that if you do go straight to the CCIP though you at least learn a good majority of the BCMSN material even if you don't take the exam.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Thats actually surprising. I figured the CCIP was heavy into MPLS and BGP and the BCMSN dealt more with switches, LAN, VLAN, etc. I don't see a huge comparison of the two.

Maybe I have not done enough research.
    You are correct, there isn't overlap. I was just suggesting you learn the switching up to a CCNP level to compliment the knowledge in the CCIP. If you are working in an SP you probably will be getting your hands on 6500/7600 or other high end switches. Always good to have that knowledge.
    You are correct, there isn't overlap. I was just suggesting you learn the switching up to a CCNP level to compliment the knowledge in the CCIP. If you are working in an SP you probably will be getting your hands on 6500/7600 or other high end switches. Always good to have that knowledge.

Makes sense. I actually work in an environment that is mostly WAN and routers only, MPLS etc. So I am trying to be more useful in my current position. MPLS, VPN, etc is our specialties. 99% of our customers do not use Cisco switches. Not that I do not need the training. I'm just trying to figure out the best route that will allow me to exceed in my current environment.
    Sounds like CCIP is the way to go for you. Good luck!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like CCIP is the way to go for you. Good luck!

Agreed. Besides, its always good to get a qualification with the technologies you work with.

Good luck!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking