Networking ( as in people ) =)

inc0mpleteinc0mplete Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello. I was wondering what are some of your favorite places to network? I have failed to find any internships in the security field (you would figure there would be a lot in NYC) and am seeking to go more active. Ordering my own business cards, I am looking to start going out there and meeting people. I am looking forward to the 2600 meeting coming up and perhaps the next OWASP chapter meetings in NYC.

So what else do you do to get out there?
Security+ -> Studying.
CCNA-> Studying - GNS3 and building up equipment slowly for CCNP.:lol:
MCSE 70-290 -> On Hold.

Exploit Bank: 0
InProgress: 1

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • inc0mpleteinc0mplete Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That looks great dynamik thanks! When I hope more time, I'll read more about it and hopefully become a member.
    Security+ -> Studying.
    MCSE 70-290 -> On Hold.

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I'm a member of both ISSA and OWASP and the larger chapters have many members with contacts, including job recruiters. Depending on what your security interests are, try IIA and ISACA meetings too.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Message boards are a great way to meet people. Also don't ever forget a name or face for people you've worked with before. I work in security and service hundreds of clients for my company a year. I write down the contact info for every client that I visit with and make sure to send them christmas cards, courtesy calls to see how they're doing, etc. This isn't required of me but I do it because you can never have too many contacts. Linkedin is also a great resource.

Never under estimate the power of having a beer with a guy from the Internet either. I recently met up with a member from this site when I was traveling in his city and wound up getting him a job across the country. You never know where a job offer will come from :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Well then, JDMurray, Keatron and Paul. By all means, come on down to NYC and I will gladly buy you a drink, show you the sites and even find a babysitter for your kids if that be the case!

[edit] I had a spelling error and it was bothering me.
    Security+ -> Studying.
    MCSE 70-290 -> On Hold.

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    FORGIVE ME DYNAMIK! Of course you're invited! I just assumed you knew that! Plus, my boss was hanging near me and I typed without thinking. It's the end of the month, that means i'm supposed to bill more people and hunt down those who didn't pay their medical bills lol.

Plus, I want to get you a drink for your amazing new job!

[edit] And since it looks like you watch bleach, we could go to ComicCon together lol. My GF refuses and so does everyone from my fraternity!
    Security+ -> Studying.
    MCSE 70-290 -> On Hold.