OWA SSL cert problemo

rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
A few days ago one of the companies I consult for started getting a cert error on their OWA page. So I logged in to the server and the 3rd party (godaddy) cert was still good for another year. The self signed cert however had expired. I'm not sure I understand why the self signed cert is needed for OWA, but regardless I created a new self-signed cert, Great. After rebooting the box I checked OWA and it is still saying there is a cert issue.

So I'm kind of stuck now, my self-signed certs are now good for another year as well as my godaddy cert is good for another year. Can anyone see something I'm overlooking?

The specific error when you go to OWA is:
mail.xyz.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed.
The certificate is only valid for the following names:
RWC-EXC02 , RWC-EXC02.xyz.lan

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check the bindings in IIS for the OWA site. Edit the binding on 443 and make sure you have the GoDaddy certificate selected and not the self-signed one (at least that's how to check on Server 2008; 2003 would be similar I assume).
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks dude, that was absolutely it! +rep
    Now I have users, only the office2k7 ones complaining about a bad cert. I think it may have to do with autodiscover. Researching
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rsutton wrote: »
    Now I have users, only the office2k7 ones complaining about a bad cert. I think it may have to do with autodiscover. Researching

Look no further:
    Outlook 2007 Certificate Error? | Elan Shudnow's Blog
    Autodiscover, DNS, Certificates, and what you need to know | Elan Shudnow's Blog
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I seriously need to read those. I've just been dealing with this certificate error for months because it's kind of gotten put on the backburner.

Thanks!
    Thank you for the links. Got the situation resolved, I will try and post up the resolution later, took a bit out of me & now I must sleep.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No problem. In case you didn't know, I wrote those articles. I'm Elan. :) So if you need anything clarified or think I can modify the article to better explain something, let me know.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    royal wrote: »
    No problem. In case you didn't know, I wrote those articles. I'm Elan. :) So if you need anything clarified or think I can modify the article to better explain something, let me know.

The commands at the bottom of your first link where the ones I was missing, entering in those fixed my Outlook 2k7 users. Nice write ups & a great contribution.