Probably a redundant question - Are Bootcamps Worth It?

Keith83Keith83 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm interested in taking either a 5-day, 40-hour 'camp, or something a bit more stretched out (e.g. CISSP Certification | UMBC Training Centers).

My employer will cover the costs of it, so that becomes a moot issue.

Who has experienced them and what are you reactions? Are they better to take at the front-end of your study towards the CISSP or better as a cumulative review nearing exam day? Do they help cut down on overall time in studying?

Or are they not worth it at all? :D

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't pay for one, but if you have someone covering the cost, you might as well check it out. As long as you consider it to be an introduction and/or refresher, it'll probably meet your expectations. If you're in the mindset (which you don't seem to be), that it'll be the only resource you need and allow you to quickly pass the exam, you will likely be disappointed.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I have never taken an IT certification bootcamp, but from the people with whom I've talked that have, it's a rather grueling experience where they attempt to cram into their head all the information needed to pass a specific cert exam. The instruction is very fast, there is usually a lot of supplemental material to read, and there is a Q&A at the the end of each session. The exam is administered on the last day of the bootcamp and is (usually) optional to take.

As you can guess, this is usually not the best way to learn, and much of what you do learn in the class is not retained by your short-term memory. On the other hand, if your only objective is to pass an exam, and you can mentally tolerate days of intenseive memorization, it's probably the best way to go.

And probably the best piece of advice I've seen with respect to taking a bootcamp is to study the material for several weeks before the class so no topic is brand new to you. This will help you better remember what information was presented.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have been to a bunch of boot camps over the years and work paid for all of them except my CISSP camp. I like them if you prepare for them well. If you give yourself enough time and study before you go, it will help clear up things you might have issues with. Or in my case things you thought you understood and were actually way the heck off, the instructor can clear up for you.

Some times it is hard to clear time to do the last minute cramming before the exam so if your work can send you to them it is a nice way to get away from work, kids, etc and focus entirely on the test subject matter.

But like I said earlier study before you go, use the camp to refresh/solidify stuff you already know.
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    Keith83 wrote: »
    I'm interested in taking either a 5-day, 40-hour 'camp, or something a bit more stretched out (e.g. CISSP Certification | UMBC Training Centers).

My employer will cover the costs of it, so that becomes a moot issue.

Who has experienced them and what are you reactions? Are they better to take at the front-end of your study towards the CISSP or better as a cumulative review nearing exam day? Do they help cut down on overall time in studying?

Or are they not worth it at all? :D

You should look at this one, its a 7 day one, that looks pretty good:
    Official (ISC)2 7-day CISSP Training Camp
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    dynamik wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay for one, but if you have someone covering the cost, you might as well check it out. As long as you consider it to be an introduction and/or refresher, it'll probably meet your expectations. If you're in the mindset (which you don't seem to be), that it'll be the only resource you need and allow you to quickly pass the exam, you will likely be disappointed.

Yeah, I was going to study on my own, be ready to take the CISSP, then go to the bootcamp, I think the bootcamp will give an extra (and probably needed) edge, especially for a cert like the CISSP.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    abefroman wrote: »
    Yeah, I was going to study on my own, be ready to take the CISSP, then go to the bootcamp, I think the bootcamp will give an extra (and probably needed) edge, especially for a cert like the CISSP.
    That's exactly what bootcamps are for. Study on your own for a while, attend a bootcamp, and then take the cert exam immediately after (usually at the bootcamp itself).