Is economic recovery boosting IT

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
Now that there are reports of "recovery", just wondering if IT has seen any positive results in terms of more jobs/contracts where you're.

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have seen a few more jobs posted on the sites for my area. But not very many.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In my area they are consolidating positions instead. Before you could get a Router guy, a Unix guy and a Windows guy. Now you have to do all of it and get paid 25 percent less.
  • it2bit2b Member Posts: 117
    I'm in western Connecticut and things are still pretty bad here. Companies are still laying off people. I know lots of people out of work.

The company I work for has no budget for expanding our IT infrastructure. We have to make do with what we have right now.

A talented friend I used to work with has been unable to find a new IT job after being laid off from his previous one.

I spoke to some recruiters I know who say things are dreadfully slow.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I dont think the UK is even out of it yet! :D haha. who knows, its all doom and gloom at the moment if you read too much about it.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    I'd agree with Nel uk is poor at the moment not much in way of jobs advertised. I've sent my CV off for a few to see if anyone is biting but not getting any response.
    That tells me either my cv is crap ! or there are a lot stronger resumes out there or no jobs lol

I would add we've just come out fo the summer holiday season which is always poor so I'll be watching with interest over the next month to see what changes.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nothing much for improvement in my region, but I suspect it's just a matter of time. I think once we really start to see a real recovery, not just perceived recovery because the markets are being propped up, that there will be a cautious boom in spending. Companies should proceed to move ahead with projects that might have been put on hold, or upgrading equipment they might have tried to squeeze a little more life out of. I don't think they are going to go out and blow a ton of cash indiscriminately due to how rough things got, but there should be a marked increase in spending.

How that will translate into jobs is yet to be determined. Consulting companies will no doubt make out well, but it's hard to say if companies are going to start bringing work internal when things pick up or if they will prefer to use outside contracts.
  • Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    +1 tpatt100. Same thing here.

Out this way there is little to no improvement. Which is strange because I keep hearing on the news and from the government, on how the recession is over and blah blah blah.... Could’ve fooled me.
    I spoke with a recruiter few weeks ago and we both had the same idea that we don't really expect to see much improvement until early-mid next year.
    WIP: 70-647 (5%)
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    There's a hiring freeze for at least a few months where I'm at now, and they've been consistently cutting back our hours with no relief in sight. So far, the so-called recovery hasn't trickled down to where I work yet...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    skrpune wrote: »
    There's a hiring freeze for at least a few months where I'm at now, and they've been consistently cutting back our hours with no relief in sight. So far, the so-called recovery hasn't trickled down to where I work yet...

That's why they are calling it a "jobless recovery" icon_razz.gif
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have seen quite a few new job posting in my area lately. I have also received calls about entry level jobs for the last three weeks. I think the worst may be over. Who can say though?

I should also note that my eyes are on mostly entry level jobs at this time.