Options

Cisco 2950 linksys router

bachibusucbachibusuc Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I've just started cisco CCNA training. They just explain how to set up reallllllllyyyy basics stuff in the cisco switch. I bought a cisco 2950 and think it's pretty good. The only thing is that I want to hook it up to my linksys router wrt54g.

I want to know what would be the configuration on the switch for basics use.
I can re-install the IOS and then the basic configuration prompt appears. I want to know from there.

My configuration on the linksys router is :

Default gateway : 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0

And can I just connect a ethernet cable from the router to, let's say, the first port on the switch to connect them together?

I won't mess around with the v-lans or CMS thingy for now, don't know enough about it, just want the basic configuration.
They say you have to put the switch ip like 10.1.0. something like this. Maybe I don't understand well, but if my switch ip is 10.1.0 something, isn't on another Network? Can't I just put an ip like 192.168.1.2 that way it'll be on the same network as the router and would make it more simple?? I know the router is made to connect different networks, but Wouldn't it be easier to put them in the same network directly? Or am I just lost.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You actually don't even need to give it an IP to have it perform basic switching. You would want to give it an IP on the same subnet for management purposes.

Welcome to the forums :D
  • Options
    So I would just have to give the subnet : 255.255.255.0 ?

What ip should I put then? would it have to be like 192.168.1. something?

And can i just plug an ethernet cable from the router to the FIRST port of the switch? (or any port)

thank you
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    bachibusuc wrote: »
    So I would just have to give the subnet : 255.255.255.0 ?

What ip should I put then? would it have to be like 192.168.1. something?

And can i just plug an ethernet cable from the router to the FIRST port of the switch? (or any port)

thank you

You don't have to give the switch any IP or subnet. Just plug the router into one port and a host into another and it will work with a default config.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    bachibusuc wrote: »
    Hi,

I've just started cisco CCNA training. They just explain how to set up reallllllllyyyy basics stuff in the cisco switch. I bought a cisco 2950 and think it's pretty good. The only thing is that I want to hook it up to my linksys router wrt54g.

I want to know what would be the configuration on the switch for basics use.
    I can re-install the IOS and then the basic configuration prompt appears. I want to know from there.

My configuration on the linksys router is :

Default gateway : 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0

And can I just connect a ethernet cable from the router to, let's say, the first port on the switch to connect them together?

I won't mess around with the v-lans or CMS thingy for now, don't know enough about it, just want the basic configuration.
    They say you have to put the switch ip like 10.1.0. something like this. Maybe I don't understand well, but if my switch ip is 10.1.0 something, isn't on another Network? Can't I just put an ip like 192.168.1.2 that way it'll be on the same network as the router and would make it more simple?? I know the router is made to connect different networks, but Wouldn't it be easier to put them in the same network directly? Or am I just lost.

Thank you

as has been said, you do not need an ip on any interfaces. But for management purposes and for something to ping to you go to global config mode the do this:

int vlan 1
    ip address 192.168.1.2 (or whichever private ip from your subnet you choose) 255.255.255.0
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    Alright thx, i'll try it out and give back some news!

Thanx!