How hard is the CISSP compared to the Security+?

abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
How hard is the CISSP compared to the Security+?

TIA

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I'm not sure what kind of scale I can use to express the difference. Maybe a comparison of an 8th-grade education to a Masters degree.

The CISSP has a much greater degree of difficulty because it requires having a practical understanding of InfoSec concepts and not just the rote memorization of facts. There are also more concepts covered by the CISSP CBK than in the objectives of the Security+ cert. And the pencil-and-paper CISSP exam is a very long and grueling process, while the Security+ exam is pretty much like any other computer-based cert exam that you've taken.
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I'm not sure what kind of scale I can use to express the difference. Maybe a comparison of an 8th-grade education to a Masters degree.

The CISSP has a much greater degree of difficulty because it requires having a practical understanding of InfoSec concepts and not just the rote memorization of facts. There are also more concepts covered by the CISSP CBK than in the objectives of the Security+ cert. And the pencil-and-paper CISSP exam is a very long and grueling process, while the Security+ exam is pretty much like any other computer-based cert exam that you've taken.

Sounds like at least 3-4 times harder than.

Pencil and paper exam?

Is the test all multiple choice? Are are there other formats of questions too?

TIA
    Yes, its all multiple choice.

Does anyone know what percent of people pass the CISSP?
    abefroman wrote: »
    Does anyone know what percent of people pass the CISSP?
    Many of the testing statistics of the (ISC)2 exams are not officially published, but I have heard speculation that the pass rate may be as high as 66-70%.
    Many of the testing statistics of the (ISC)2 exams are not officially published, but I have heard speculation that the pass rate may be as high as 66-70%.

That doesn't sound too too bad.

I tried some of the practice questions from the Shon Harris book a lot of them seem rather easy, should I prepare for a lot harder questions on the actual test?
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    That doesn't sound too too bad.

I tried some of the practice questions from the Shon Harris book a lot of them seem rather easy, should I prepare for a lot harder questions on the actual test?

As with any Certification exam, I would use more than one source. I use at least 3 or 4 different sources when I study for an exam, and the CISSP is no different.

I have not found a certification study book yet that has the entire exam covered. So it's your best bet to find other sources...
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The only thing I found hard about the CISSP was staying focused for so many questions.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    The only thing I found hard about the CISSP was staying focused for so many questions.

Can you share with us your experience and background ? It'll be helpful because I want to take CISSP but I lack direct InfoSec experience, I'm wondering if it'll make my studying time very difficult.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

UnixGuy wrote: »
    ... I want to take CISSP but I lack direct InfoSec experience, I'm wondering if it'll make my studying time very difficult.
    Every InfoSec professional has problems studying for the CISSP exam because no InfoSec professional has significant experiences in all ten domains covered by the CISSP CBK. Therefore, having no InfoSec experience at all makes understanding the entire CISSP CBK all the more difficult.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Every InfoSec professional has problems studying for the CISSP exam because no InfoSec professional has significant experiences in all ten domains covered by the CISSP CBK. Therefore, having no InfoSec experience at all makes understanding the entire CISSP CBK all the more difficult.

interesting...I hope by next year I can start with this cert :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @JDMurray: I thought you had to have InfoSec experience to be able to take the exam?
  • kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103
    No, you can take it whenever you want. You'll just be an associate until you meet the eligibility requirements (if you pass, of course).
    @JDMurray: I thought you had to have InfoSec experience to be able to take the exam?
    Anyone can take the CISSP (or SSCP) exam anytime and as many times as they want. To become fully CISSP-certified you must both pass the exam and have verifiable InfoSec work experience (and have an endorser...and pass the audit...and pay the money...).
    So I could take the exam and then later down the line just send in paperwork showing I meet all the requirements?
    So I could take the exam and then later down the line just send in paperwork showing I meet all the requirements?
    Yes. When you pass the CISSP exam, you become an "Associate of the (ISC)2 for CISSP." As an (ISC)2 Associate, you are not a fully-certified CISSP (or SSCP) and may not market yourself as such until you meet all of the qualifications.
    Anyone can take the CISSP (or SSCP) exam anytime and as many times as they want. To become fully CISSP-certified you must both pass the exam and have verifiable InfoSec work experience (and have an endorser...and pass the audit...and pay the money...).

If my work is not strictly security do I qualify?

I am responsible for securing about 100 linux servers, as well as setting the companies security policy and procedures, but I do tech support, sys admin stuff and some other things too. (I have been doing this for 8 years) Will I qualify?

Whats the best way to get endorsed if I don't know another CISSP or SSCP?

TIA
    They specifically state you need full-time experience in two of the ten domains.

Some members here might be willing to endorse you, or you can apply directly to (ISC)2 if you can't find anyone.
    If my work is not strictly security do I qualify?

I am responsible for securing about 100 linux servers, as well as setting the companies security policy and procedures, but I do tech support, sys admin stuff and some other things too. (I have been doing this for 8 years) Will I qualify?
    The CISSP certification is meant for people working directly in the Information Security profession. However, many sysadmins, netadmins, and software engineers/architects also have the CISSP cert because InfoSec is an inseparable part of their work. CISSP CBK domains like access control, telecommunications, and application security are usually the experience claimed by these types of professionals.
    Whats the best way to get endorsed if I don't know another CISSP or SSCP?
    Ask around to check if anyone familiar with your work history has a cert from the (ISC)2 and is in good standing (i.e., current on their CPEs and AMF). If not, after passing the CISSP exam, you can apply to be endorsed (and audited) by someone at the (ISC)2 itself.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    If its all multiple choice then what is this "pencil and paper" bs?
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

I think he means like a scantron test, rather than on a computer.
    kimanyd wrote: »
    They specifically state you need full-time experience in two of the ten domains.

Some members here might be willing to endorse you, or you can apply directly to (ISC)2 if you can't find anyone.

By full time, if they mean 40 hours per week on security stuff, I have that covered :) I work a good 80-100 hours a week, if I'm lucky.

I should qualify then, correct?

TIA
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    You've never taken a multiple choice using only pencil and paper? Then you're in for a treat! :)
    I think he means like a scantron test, rather than on a computer.
    Yes, and a paper exam booklet too. ;)
    This is very interesting. Associate of the (ISC)2 for CISSP could probably help with getting a job in security I would think. What do you guys think (in particular Dynamik and JDMurray)? I actually may seriously consider doing this after I knock off my B.A.
    You've never taken a multiple choice using only pencil and paper? Then you're in for a treat! :)

Yes, and a paper exam booklet too. ;)

A large paper exam booklet from what I've hear ;)
    I think even being an associate would help you stand out from the crowd and make you appear knowledgeable in regards to security. Now that I've landed a security-focused gig, I'll be knocking this out shortly. Probably early 2010 after I do CCNA:S and CEH later this year.

They give you six years to fulfill the requirements, and a qualifying cert or degree will knock your required experience time down to four years. Therefore, you'll have two years from the time you pass to get a full-time security position.
    kimanyd wrote: »
    Probably early 2010 after I do CCNA:S and CEH later this year.
    Are you close to taking the CCNA exam? And weren't you planning on doing the OSCP cert before the CEH?
    I'm going to try to shoot for ICND2 by the end of Sept, and CCNA:S by the end of Oct. We'll see how that goes with the move and the new job though.

I'd definitely do the CEH first; the OSCP sounds insane. I'm a bit intimidated TBH.
    The program I'm on at work wants us all to do the 30-day OSCP course. It'll be a group of us studying together with our BT3/4 laptops and attacking Offensive Security's servers. I've started looking at the tutorial videos on the Web site and it doesn't too scary, but I've got a few "pros" around me to lean on.

Good luck on the CCNA & Security. I'm hoping to do the CCENT myself in November.
    Awesome! When are you starting that?

I might do CEH in Nov (am really close to testing as it stands), and maybe the OSCP will be a Christmas present to myself.

I guess this is what makes me a little nervous: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ec-council-ceh-chfi/35603-c-eh-v6-security-experts-monkeys-tool-exposure.html#post252742

It seemed pretty intense for him, and it seems like he knew his stuff pretty well before taking it on.
    Not before mid-October. Too many tight work deadlines before then. I'd prefer taking the 60-day course to have more time to learn new things and to practice for the OSCP exam. Right now the only thing I have the mental stamina to do for 18-hours straight is MMOs and TF2. :D

Oh--sorry all for hijacking this thread. icon_redface.gif