Why does Hyper-V take so long to copy from host?

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
Seriously, 4gb worth of ISOs is taking 20 minutes. Nothing else is running besides the host and the VM on a SATA-II 7200 mirror, and the files are being copied over from another SATA-II 7200 mirror. I'm not saying it's slow, only that I could copy them faster over my WLAN.

Happy?

Maybe it's being obstinate because it realizes I'm just using it to run VC for my two physical ESX hosts...

Comments

• elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    Where are you storing the VHDs? Are they on the OS mirror or the same drive as the images?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's not a big deal. Royal wanted more Hyper-V threads, and that was what was going on at the moment. OS and VM on are the same HD, but they're just sitting there. It's fine when I copy between the mirrors outside of the VM. I'm not too worried about it. The ISOs got there, and my ESX VMs got setup :D
  • digg1980digg1980 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Seriously, 4gb worth of ISOs is taking 20 minutes. Nothing else is running besides the host and the VM on a SATA-II 7200 mirror, and the files are being copied over from another SATA-II 7200 mirror. I'm not saying it's slow, only that I could copy them faster over my WLAN.

Happy?

Maybe it's being obstinate because it realizes I'm just using it to run VC for my two physical ESX hosts...

Hi Dynamic,

I don't believe that performance is that bad for Hyper-V, as they don't use any optimized drivers in Hyper-V, but general windows drivers. Just thought you might want to ensure that you have installed IC for the OS you are using. If you are running windows then that should be straight forward, but if you are installing it for Linux then its more complex. If you need help install IC on Linux then you might want to check out:

Linux on Hyper-V optimization process

I hope that help someone,
    Erick
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    copying has never been that slow at work for me. And we migrate hyper-v vm's and resources 40 miles across town like its nothing.
  • kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103
    Thanks for bringing this thread back from the dead. I always appreciate the opportunity to look like an idiot. The board I was using has six SATA-II ports for Intel RAID and another two for Gigabyte's RAID implementation. Well Gigabyte's RAID performance is abysmal. It wasn't just Hyper-V, but every sort of file transfer. Unfortunately, this was the first thing I tried since I set the system up, and people were clamoring for more Hyper-V threads, so I just posted away. If anyone has similar boards, use the Gigabyte ports for DVD drives, eSATA, etc. I installed another cheapie High Point RAID card for additional RAID drives, and it has significantly better performance.

Digg1980, I appreciate you taking the time to join just to call me out. Welcome to the forums! :D