Options

ISA 2006 database

netstatnetstat Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

First of all i would like to point out that i am no Microsoft or SQL guru :). I have seached for a while but cannot seem to find the info i require.

I would like to install ISA 2006 standard but have it installed on a remote SQL database which is found on another system. The reason is for disaster recovery. I think ISA Enterprise does this. What are my options on ISA standard to have such a system with a remote database? - Does ISA standard only support local installation?

Thanks,
Kirk

Comments

• Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ISA's (standard or enterprise) logging can be done 3 different ways.
    MSDE (default)
    SQL Database
    W3C log file format

In all cases the logs can be put on remote computers (MSDE and File can be done via shared folders). Just go to monitor > Logging tab > configure logging on the task bar.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply, although i was not refering to logging. I want all the configuration to be on a separate server. (policies, topology, logs etc). In case the server fails, all that needs to be done is simply install and point to the DB onto the other server. I have performed such a setup with other products so it is no rocket science. Not to sure how this applies to ISA though. Not even export would be required, since the DB is not local in the first place.

thanks,
    Kirk
  • Options
    My bad, just enterprise supports Microsoft CSS but you could always do a backup. I know Microsoft ISA Server Firewall Resource Site: Articles & Tutorials is a good site to look at. Off of the site they have this ISA Server 2006 Backup and Restore Capabilities which shows a script that you can do that will back up ISA server. All you have to do is add it as a reoccurring task. That with SQL database for the logs. If the server failed you should just have to import the last config.
  • Options
    Thanks, just wanted to confirm, that, that is indeed the only option with the standard edition. :)

Kirk
  • Options
    I would say yes unless there is any third party app out there that does that.