JNCIP Case Study - 1 Pg 42 - archive size and files

hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
Modify the syslog parameters to log all interactive CLI commands to a file called rn-cli, where n is equal to the router number. Configure the CLI log to permit four archived copies that will be no larger than 128K, and ensure that CLI-related logging is also sent to 10.0.200.2, which is providing a remote syslog service. All other syslog parameters should be left at their default setting.

Book Solution

syslog {
user * {
any emergency;
}
host 10.0.200.2 {
interactive-commands any;
}
file messages {
any notice;
authorization info;
}
file r2-cli {
archive files 4;
}
}

My concern is the file r2-cli.. wherein archive files 4 is given.. but the question says "permit four archived copies that will be no larger than 128K"

My Solution was

syslog {
user * {
any emergency;
}
host 10.0.200.2 {
}
file messages {
any notice;
authorization info;
}
file r1-cli {
archive size 128k files 4;
}

Any insight into this... Am I missing something..
IS-IS Sleeps.
BGP peers are quiet.
Something must be wrong.

Comments

• AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Hey hoogen,

Have a look at page 20, it says the following.

"The default archive settings will allow up to ten 128KB files that are not world-readable."

So by default the syslog files are 128k in size. So with the case you could leave off configuring the 128k size and it would work.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    Thanks.. It does make sense from the book perspective... But I would have assumed 128k default for J-Series, 1Mb for M/T Series and 10Mb for T-Matrix.. That's was my confusion...
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    In all truth I think it is 1mb now for the M series routers. I remember reading something in the ER book about that.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    Thanks a lot Aldur....
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.