Juniper help

L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
I am kind of interested to try out Juniper. I really have no access to Juniper equipment, so how would I be able to emulate a Juniper firewall? I know the Olive is for the routers, anything similar for the firewalls? I noticed on another post that they are pretty much giving the certs away. I'm not sure if I should go after the cert simply because I have no experience with it. Any insight would be great! Thanks guys.

Edit:
Do I have to do the routers first, or can you jump into the firewall first?
I bring nothing useful to the table...

Comments

• PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am kind of interested to try out Juniper. I really have no access to Juniper equipment, so how would I be able to emulate a Juniper firewall? I know the Olive is for the routers, anything similar for the firewalls? I noticed on another post that they are pretty much giving the certs away. I'm not sure if I should go after the cert simply because I have no experience with it. Any insight would be great! Thanks guys.

Edit:
    Do I have to do the routers first, or can you jump into the firewall first?

Hey,

Thats just it, there really isnt many options for ScreenOS simulation, unfortunately. That said, you can pick up cheap Juniper netscreen 5XP's and 5GT's for between £50-£100. The 5XP's probably are a little too limited to practice with properly, but the 5GT's are fine.

The JNCIA-FWV is a good stepping stone, not too difficult but will test most basic security concepts.

Nope, JunOS is different to screenOS, even if the commands feel familuar. You will feel fairly confident using your Cisco IOS skills on a Netscreen or SSG firewall.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Ok with all that being said, what's the deal with the SEC cert? Is JUNOS moving to more of a security platform or what? Sorry I'm totally in the dark about this stuff, just wanting to get an understanding if its something i'd like to look at.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    The SEC cert has to deal with the new SRX box that recently came out. The SRX is a combo router/firewall that is based off of ScreenOS but will run JunOS. Juniper is taking the direction that the SRX will be it's primary security/firewall platform.

Here's some more general info on the SRX

SRX Series Services Gateways - Dynamic Services Architecture - Juniper Networks

and some info on the SEC cert.

Enhanced Services Certification Track - Certification - Juniper Networks

HTH, and let me know if you have any questions.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm sure ScreenOS is going to be around for years and years to support their installed base. However, it is becoming clear that Juniper is moving away from ScreenOS and will be using a JUNOS based OS for future products. For example, the new SRX security platforms that will be replacing Netscreens and SSGs are all JUNOS based.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    zoidberg wrote: »
    I'm sure ScreenOS is going to be around for years and years to support their installed base. However, it is becoming clear that Juniper is moving away from ScreenOS and will be using a JUNOS based OS for future products. For example, the new SRX security platforms that will be replacing Netscreens and SSGs are all JUNOS based.

Good point. Yea, ScreenOS will be around for quiet a few years to come, but like you said Juniper will be moving away from ScreenOS in favor of JUNOS based platforms.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I really appreciate all the help you guys have given to me. I'm definitely interested in going for it then. I may not get the certification, but I would like to have an understanding of the JUNOS software and the security platform. I think it would be a nice change up from Cisco.