SSCP Endorser / experiance question

jsolarijsolari Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I will be taking the SSCP next month. I recently got laid off of my job. I am taking the cert to prove my creditals.

I have 2 questions:

1. I do not have an endorser. I saw on the ISC site the following

"If you cannot find a certified individual to act as an endorser, (ISC)² will act as an endorser for you in consideration of which, (ISC)² will require the same documentation that is submitted by a candidate who is randomly selected to be audited."

Does this mean I do not need to find one? What is the audit? Is there another way to find another endorser?

2. The next question is about the Experience. Does a College Degree count like the CISSP? I know with the CISSP they will waive a certain amount for a certification. Anyone know?

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    jsolari wrote: »
    1. I do not have an endorser. I saw on the ISC site the following

"If you cannot find a certified individual to act as an endorser, (ISC)² will act as an endorser for you in consideration of which, (ISC)² will require the same documentation that is submitted by a candidate who is randomly selected to be audited."

Does this mean I do not need to find one? What is the audit? Is there another way to find another endorser?
    Yes, the phrase "(ISC)² will act as an endorser for you" indicates that the (ISC)2 will be your endorser. This means that you will be audited to verify your professional work experience. If you have your own endorser then the audit is not mandatory.
    jsolari wrote: »
    2. The next question is about the Experience. Does a College Degree count like the CISSP? I know with the CISSP they will waive a certain amount for a certification. Anyone know?
    The SSCP requires only one year of professional InfoSec experience; it is not possible to waive that one year.
  • AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So how in detail is an audit? Is it going to irritate my clients? I am strongly considerig going for a CISSP.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
    For the actual details of how an audit is performed you will need to contact the (ISC)2 directly.

And I usually advise people who qualify for the CISSP to go directly for it. The SSCP is usually only something you'll want if you are not ready for the CISSP, or you are a technical security person and do not intend to get the more business-oriented CISSP certification. I got the SSCP as a preparation for the CISSP exam, but it isn't necessary to do so.
  • KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
    I heard that if you dont have 1-yr work experience, then a college degree will work?

if this is true.. what kind of degree? associates good enough?

I really want to get my SSCP so I can finish my DoD 8570.1 compliance so DoD/Federal Employers can start noticing me/my resume and pick me up for a good government job and get my security clearance..

icon_exclaim.gificon_confused.gif:
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    KoolTrix wrote: »
    I heard that if you dont have 1-yr work experience, then a college degree will work?

if this is true.. what kind of degree? associates good enough?

I really want to get my SSCP so I can finish my DoD 8570.1 compliance so DoD/Federal Employers can start noticing me/my resume and pick me up for a good government job and get my security clearance..

icon_exclaim.gificon_confused.gif:

The reality is that if you don't have the work experience requirement you probably shouldn't be writing this exam.
    It is impossible to totally waive the work experience requirement on any (ISC)2 certification. The SSCP only requires one-year of work experience and you have to have it.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SephStorm wrote: »
    I thought they had Associate of ISC2 for the SSCP?

There is an Associate of (ISC)2 designation for the SSCP as well. Note the bottom paragraph: SSCP Education & Certification
    Don’t yet have the necessary years of experience? If you’re working on building your experience right now, you may earn the Associate of (ISC)² designation by passing the required SSCP examination.
    The Associate for the SSCP is meant for people who have just graduated from college and do not have any InfoSec work experience yet.