Options

CUCMBE 7.1.2 in VMware

FattyAcidFattyAcid Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
FYI....

I built a CUCMBE 7.1.2 server in VMWare Workstation 6.5.2 on a 32-bit Windows XP SP1 (don't ask) box. Everything works peachy with this CUCMBE 7.1.2 VM when I run it on this Windows XP box (in either Workstation 6.5.2 or VMWare Player 2.5.2).

However, if i take the VM over to a 64-bit Windows Server 2003 box running VMWare Player 2.5.3, the damn thing works fine except for the Cisco IP Voice Media Streaming Application service--the damn thing just won't start! Activated, just won't start. Thus I got no annunciator, software conference bridge, MOH server...

Damn, so close.

Comments

• Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That’s odd – Did you try installing VM Workstation on the server box? I’m running similar setup – Cluster of 7.0(2) CUCMs in VMWare Workstation 6.5.2. The host OS is Server 2003R2 x64 and everything works fine… (errr, so far!)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    pitviper wrote: »
    That’s odd – Did you try installing VM Workstation on the server box? I’m running similar setup – Cluster of 7.0(2) CUCMs in VMWare Workstation 6.5.2. The host OS is Server 2003R2 x64 and everything works fine… (errr, so far!)

No I haven't tried VM Workstation on the server, just VMWare player.

Did you check if the Cisco IP Voice Streaming Media application is actually running on yours? Not just activated, but actually running. Cisco Unified Servicability, Tools -> Control Center - Feature Services? Of course if MoH, annunciator, etc. works, it's obviously running.

Which build of VMWare Workstation 6.5.2 are you running on the 2003R2 x86 server?
  • Options
    badgerpongobadgerpongo Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    FattyAcid wrote: »

Did you check if the Cisco IP Voice Streaming Media application is actually running on yours? Not just activated, but actually running. Cisco Unified Servicability, Tools -> Control Center - Feature Services? Of course if MoH, annunciator, etc. works, it's obviously running.

Which build of VMWare Workstation 6.5.2 are you running on the 2003R2 x86 server?

Anyone ever get this to work? I have the same problem, but have it barely working with UCM 7.0.2. Barely means that I have to prevent all services, except CM and IP Voice Streaming Media APP, and wait about 15 minutes before streaming media actually starts. I then turn on the remainder of the services. This will not work in UCM 7.1. I have tried 64bit, 32bit OS, scsci and ide drives, dedicate 4GB ram to vmachine, and it still doesn't work. Also tried varying revs of Redhat Enterprise, v3, v4, and v5, for building the virtual machine. I'm also running all this in VMWareServer v2.0 on a Linux host. Nothing works and about to give up and put up with taking upt 20 minutes just to start UCM 7.0 to get a working server.

Would really like to hear of a solution!
  • Options

It’s definitely working – Already running MoH and a conference bridge. No problems starting and stopping the service.

Host server is a Dell PowerEdge w/2x Xeon Quad E5310 CPUs (8x cores oc’d to 2.0ghz), 8GB RAM, Server 2003R2 Enterprise x64 SP2, and VM Workstation 6.5.2 build-156735.

VMs were built on the server – Not sure if that makes a difference.

Guest VMs: Redhat Enterprise 4 (32-bit), 1024RAM, 2xCPUs, and 72GB SCSI HDD.

CUCM Version (Pub, 2x Subs): 7.0.2.10000-18
  • Options
    badgerpongobadgerpongo Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pitviper wrote: »
    It’s definitely working – Already running MoH and a conference bridge. No problems starting and stopping the service.

Host server is a Dell PowerEdge w/2x Xeon Quad E5310 CPUs (8x cores oc’d to 2.0ghz), 8GB RAM, Server 2003R2 Enterprise x64 SP2, and VM Workstation 6.5.2 build-156735.

VMs were built on the server – Not sure if that makes a difference.

Guest VMs: Redhat Enterprise 4 (32-bit), 1024RAM, 2xCPUs, and 72GB SCSI HDD.

CUCM Version (Pub, 2x Subs): 7.0.2.10000-18

I have discovered that the vmachine must be built and run on an Intel platform or the streaming media app will not start. I have tried to move the vmachine to an AMD platform, after first building it on the Intel platform, to see if it would run. It does, but the streaming media will not start while the vmachine is running on the AMD platform.

Doing a google search, I saw a thread indicating that the problem was fixed in CUCMv7.1, but I can tell you that in fact it has not been fixed because I have tested both. For now, the bottom line is that for full CUCM7.x functionality in VMware, it must be built and run on an Intel platform.

If anyone is having other success than that, please post your solution for the rest of us.

VMWare Servers v2.x running on Linux (fedora core 10), CUCM versions 7.0.x and 7.1.x

Thanks
  • Options
    Interesting. That would certainly explain why I haven’t been bit by it = All of the machines that I run VMs on (lab, laptop, and work) have Intel CPUs.
  • Options
    I have discovered that the vmachine must be built and run on an Intel platform or the streaming media app will not start. I have tried to move the vmachine to an AMD platform, after first building it on the Intel platform, to see if it would run. It does, but the streaming media will not start while the vmachine is running on the AMD platform.

Thanks

Oh my! This is definitely my problem. The computer I built the CUCMBE 7.1.2 VM it on is an Intel Core Duo (streaming media app works fine) and the server is an AMD (streaming media app does not work).

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    Does anyone know if this problem (CUCM/CUCMBE 7.X streaming media app won't start in VMWare on AMD processors) is true with CUCM 6.1.X in VMWare on AMD processors?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Does anyone know if this problem (CUCM/CUCMBE 7.X streaming media app won't start in VMWare on AMD processors) is true with CUCM 6.1.X in VMWare on AMD processors?

Thanks!

Not sure on the CPU but keep in mind that the demo 6.x license is pretty restrictive – I think you can only do 1 node.
  • Options
    d1kothed1kothe Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,
    since I had pretty much the same problem, your posts pointed me into the right direction for a solution.
    I have vmware 2.0x running in Ubuntu 32 Bit the latest CUCM 7.1.2 and I had exactly the same problem. Now ipvms app service starts.

I fixed it like that:
    - change order of boot devices for cucm in CUCM vmware BIOS settings, so CD-ROM is first boot device, Harddrive second boot device
    - insert a linux live cd (I used ubuntu 8.04) and boot your CUCM vmware from that CD
    - use root rights to perform the following actions on the CUCM file system (I used "sudo nautilus")
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]. on CUCMs filesystem, look for directory
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]/lib/modules/cm_ipvms/
    and identify directory
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]xyz.i686
    - create a new directory
    xyz.athlon
    and copy all contents from xyz.i686 to the new directory xyz.athlon

Do the same for all directories ending .i686, so there is a .athlon equivalent for each i868 folder.

Restart CUCM vmware and remove live cd from drive

This fixed it for me.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]icon_cheers.gif
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]

Regards
    Peter

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    d1kothe: