Options

MAC OS X problem

Guys,

I'm hoping someone can assist. i'm usually in the Cisco Forums. I was just given a gift of a macbook from my sister for a gift. It was her old one she bought a year ago as she upgraded to macbook pro.

I currently have

75GB HDD

2GHz Intel core Duo

2GB 667 MHz RAM

I'm currently running tiger 10.4.11

She also gave me a copy of 10.5.6 of leopard. I go to run the installer and after i select the language of my choice i get a message saying that mac os x cannot be installed on this computer.

Can someone help me out and let me know what i could be doing wrong? I have more than enough hardware power to run this don't i?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looks like that might be tied to the model it shipped with.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Apple stuff is lame, what did you expect?
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Have you checked the system requirements? Your machine should be fine to run 10.5. Are you trying to do an upgrade or a clean install? Since you have an Intel Mac, you should be able to run even the new 10.6 for the most part.

My Mac is 2.13 GHz Intel and it handles any of the new stuff just fine. Matter of fact I just ordered 10.6 yesterday.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Apple stuff is lame, what did you expect?

It's pretty much Unix with a pretty interface. I have had 0 problems with my Mac so far. I'm actually very very impressed with it. My O/S experience went like this: Windows (3.1, 95, 95, 2000, XP, 2003, 2008, Vista, and 7) --> Linux/Unix (FreeBSD, Fedora, Centos, Mepis) ---> Mac. I really can't find anything I prefer over a Mac for a personal computer.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd buy 10.6 for the $30 bucks and install that. It can upgrade you from 10.4 to 10.6 with no issues (to my understanding). Plus, I actually got about 20 gigs back on my hard drive when I installed it! Macs rock, especially since we now have VMWare Fusion. I got XP, Backtrack 4, and Ubuntu anytime I want. Plus don't have to scan for malware all the time!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey dude. There are three versions of MacOS, retail, upgrade and OEM. OEM copies are tied to the model of the computer they came with, just like with Windows. You are gonna have to snag a retail or upgrade copy.

I do not know if the disk for 10.4 is required to get the 10.6 installed, sorry. If you find out, let us know!
    -Daniel
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Plus, I actually got about 20 gigs back on my hard drive when I installed it!

As I understand it, part of the reason you get space back after the 10.6 update is that Finder now reports drive space in base 10 rather than base 2, which is a bit weird in my opinion.
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Hey dude. There are three versions of MacOS, retail, upgrade and OEM. OEM copies are tied to the model of the computer they came with, just like with Windows. You are gonna have to snag a retail or upgrade copy.

I do not know if the disk for 10.4 is required to get the 10.6 installed, sorry. If you find out, let us know!

He should be able to do a full install if he buys the 10.6 disc. I think he would want to buy the box set though.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Just purchase Leopard. 10.6 is like $30 bucks. But it technically works as a full install.. IE: you dont need a pre-version of apple's OS to install it. Yes, I have tried it.