JockVSJock's path to 70-270 cert

Greetings, I'm going to be posting my progress, notes and anything else that may come across my mind while trying to knock out this cert.

I just got my books and got the following:
-Exam Cram 2 by Dan Balter
-WinXP Pro 2nd Edition by MS press

Read the 1st chapter today in Exam Cram and need to go back and take notes and dive in a bit deeper on some of the material.
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• rumibabarumibaba Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    allrite boss..looking forward to it...btw...i recently passed the Network+ and i have been using xp since 2001..thought Xp will be piece of cake lol...but it's not that easy..
    i also got Exam cram...start studying it..target to finish it by nov..and take the test :)
    Network+, A+
    Near future: MCSA
    Working on: 70-270
  • AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is going to sound weird... but I honestly enjoy starting a study with the pocket admin guides from MS press. And being the XP one costs about $5 on Amazon... I honestly like that easy smopoth start into a topic. Gives a nice foundation to build on.

Granted, I ussually start studying after years of working on something. SO just a thought.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Spent about 1 1/2 hours going over the 1st chapter in Win XP Pro Training Kit. It is nice to finally see terms that I have heard for over 10 years defined, like: AD, domain, and domain controller.

Started to create flash cards for some terms too.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
    Been busy watching my friends house while he was out of town, however have been reviewing the 1st 3 chapters from the MS book and also reviewing terms.

-unknown
    Getting back on track here...

I set backup my VMWare environment along with two Win XP Clients. I tried to use the RIP and Sysprep, however wasn't able to get either one to work. Will try again.

I am not sure how to mount say an external usb drive on my real computer to have it show up on one of the XP Clients. Looked at the VMWare forums and didn't see anything. I may have to post this on our forums.

Also reviewed terms and reviewed the chp 1 and 2 in the MS XP book. Also reviewed a few things in the Exam Cram chp 1 book.

-unknown
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Which VMware product/version are you using? It's easy to connect/disconnect USB devices in Workstation; not sure about Server though;
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It might be helpful to note that while many people think the XP exam is "easy" because they have been using it for years, you'd be surprised to find many people fail it the first time because of the types of questions that they ask. This exam can be tricky if you don't pay attention to detail when studying for it.
    Using server 1.0.6.

I did set both of my clients as a Workgroup, with NAT as my networking option and was able to move files ok.
    dynamik wrote: »
    Which VMware product/version are you using? It's easy to connect/disconnect USB devices in Workstation; not sure about Server though;

-unknown
    Still not able to view a usb drive that I can see ok on my Ubuntu computer, however not able to view this from my XP Clients.

Found this thread:

[ubuntu] USB Flash drive problems in VMWare - Ubuntu Forums

And modified my /etc/fstab with the following entry:
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs auto 0 0
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=46,devmode=664 0 0

I stopped VMWare and restarted it and still not able to see usb drive from VMWare Server.

-unknown
    Rebuilt my VMWare environment for 70-270, thanks to msteinhilber for the tips. Can read it here:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/46367-observations-my-vmware-environment-certs.html

I was doing this:
    -xp clients, 1.5 GB of HD and maxing out RAM
    -Win 2003 Server, 4 GB of HD and maxing out RAM

Both ran very slow when starting up/shutting down and taking snap shots.

I have now done the following:
    -xp clients, max out HD (8 GB) and 512 RAM
    -Win 2003 Server, max out HD (8GB) and 512 RAM

All clients and server and able to startup/shutdown quickly and taking snap shots is a breeze. I am running all of this on a custom built PC with a 500 GB HD and 3 GB of RAM, so plenty of space.

I also went back thru chp 1 & 2 of the MS Book and read chp 1 & 2 again of the Exam Cram. I feel like Exam Cram is taking a leap on the deep end of the pool, while the MS book is like wading in a baby pool.

I will continue to work with these chapters till I feel comfortable and have all of the flash card stuff down before going on.

-unknown
    Happy Labor Day.

Today I worked on flash cards from both the MS book and Exam Cram. I will continue to review from the 1st three chapters.

I am getting a bit confused on how to do RIP and Sysprep from VMWare. I will post a separate question on this and I looked thru some of the past threads on this site and see that I am not the only one with this issue.

Also today when I logged into the Windows 2003 Server I got the following error:

Memory **** - event id:1076

Remember this is in VMWare...

I looked online and found this thread which maybe part of the issue:

Windows 2003 Memory **** - event id:1076 - TechSpot OpenBoards

-unknown
    Today did the following:

-studied terms from chp 1 thru 3 from the MS book
    -now able to build udf/answer files ok and able to configure RIP/Sysprep with no issue in the VMWare environment

Issues that I'm having:
    -Just moving the udf/answer/RIP/Sysprep stuff to a network share

I'm trying to setup a DC and then link my XP Clients to it and having some issues with it. Found the following post, which may help:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/70-270-windows-xp-professional/14885-help-how-put-computer-domain.html

Step By Step Guide for Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller and DNS Server Setup | Windows Reference

-unknown
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Man they need to update the XP exam and take out RIS and test on WDS. Its such a shame to force people to learn something that they just arent likely to ever use.
    Today:

-reviewed terms over breakfast
    -read chp 2 of Exam Cram

Ran out of steam while studying tonight...

-unknown
    Just wanted to reply, I have still been studying, just haven't had time to update this.

-unknown