Adivce on MCSE

qp81qp81 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guy,

I'm looking into finally starting MCSE 2003 track. For some reason or another I've found myself staying away from it. I now have a "need" for the cert. I"m looking ot start with the 4 core exams 290,91,93 and 94. My question for you folks is does it matter which one I start with? I have a fairly good background in M$, I've had the opportunity to manage and setup quite a few throughout my career. I'm looking to fill in the gap in my knowledge in this area. I'm also doing this as a "time off" my cisco cert, its been a battle, but that's another story..

TIA

Comments

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    start with whatever you feel comfortable with.

Excuse typos I'm drunk
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The MCSE most so than other certs, has been a get what you put into it situation.
    I think the MCDST/MCSA/MCSE + specializations track is still very valuable in the industry and without a doubt catches the attention of hiring managers. Given your experience with Windows you should probably just destroy the 70-620/70-270/70-290 right off the bat. The videos at vtc.com and the transcender testing software should be enough for anyone with a strong background.
    If you think you might need a little more development, just go ahead and snag the Sybex books. And if you think you need a lot of development, the Microsoft Press ones.
    Anyhow, to recap. Knock out the operating system exams and then start in the MCSE’s middle test 70-291/70-293 which are the hard ones. I found 70-294 to be not that bad. Although I have not finished it (damn random bills!) 70-297 is looking even easier.
    -Daniel
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would do them in order. each builds on the other.
  • kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Excuse typos I'm drunk

Oh, I think we've been assuming that all along...
  • qp81qp81 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks! I've decided to start with 294, I was going through my library and found of all things MS Press for 294. If I feel I need to start with 290 I'll grab the books. What would you guys recommend on reading material? Sybex or M$ Press? TS or CBT or both?
  • qp81qp81 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    The MCSE most so than other certs, has been a get what you put into it situation.
    I think the MCDST/MCSA/MCSE + specializations track is still very valuable in the industry and without a doubt catches the attention of hiring managers. Given your experience with Windows you should probably just destroy the 70-620/70-270/70-290 right off the bat. The videos at vtc.com and the transcender testing software should be enough for anyone with a strong background.
    If you think you might need a little more development, just go ahead and snag the Sybex books. And if you think you need a lot of development, the Microsoft Press ones.
    Anyhow, to recap. Knock out the operating system exams and then start in the MCSE’s middle test 70-291/70-293 which are the hard ones. I found 70-294 to be not that bad. Although I have not finished it (damn random bills!) 70-297 is looking even easier.

I plan on specializing in Messaging as I've always liked working with Exchange. As bloated as it is, I learned how to use 2007 fairly quick on a production system of all places...
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    kimanyd wrote: »
    Oh, I think we've been assuming that all along...

Says the man with the backwards name who willingly moved to Louisiana. icon_lol.gif
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Says the man with the backwards name who willingly moved to Louisiana. icon_lol.gif

I like Cajun food :D
  • kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103

Dude, I can now buy booze at Super Target with all my other groceries. I'm never leaving.

And yes, the food here is amazing. Minnesota is known for what, Lutefisk (see #4 here)? No thanks...
  • yurkieyurkie Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My order was (is) like this:

270 XP
    290 Srv2003
    271 MCDST XP
    272 MCDST Desktop Applications
    291 Network Infrastructure
    MCSA-done
    299 Security
    294 AD

293 Planning and maintaining Infra undone
    297 Designing AD undone

I think that order was luckily very suitable for me. Choosing MCDST as elective exam for MCSA helped me to get it much quicker.
    And leaving 291 which was most difficult part of MCSA last was good idea, sort of final barrier. Knowing that it was last helped me to keep studying and achieve it.. with 2nd. try.

First try was actually my first failure in this serie.

Then later i decided to start study some more to get MCSE. First take was security exam 299 as i have been interested about CA's and smartcards etc for a while.
    That exam alone took about one whole year from me to pass it, mainly because i was working at the same time and used my spare time to learn things needed in work also.
    First exams were easier because i was unemployed and had all the time to use just for studying.

Anyhow, order which you take exams does matter.
    If i would have chosen 70-299 to complete MCSA it would have taken year longer and maybe prevented me to get my job...

And after security (299) i think AD (294) was easier because they had many common sections, trust relationships etc.
    Same with 293 which i'm working right now, CA's, Hardening roles etc comes once again.

Times i spent with each exam and points as far as i remember were:

270 - 2-3 months, 731p
    290 - 2 months, 875p
    271 - 1month, approx 780p
    272 - 1month, little over 800p
    291 - 1st try@3 months approx 670p, 2nd@6 months: 700p

299 - 1st.try@3months: 670p, 2nd@5 months: 650p and 3rd. try after approx. 1year: 850p

In this phase i realised that i don't wanna pay for failure exams any more. I studied next one as long as it took me to "know" that it goes through with first try.

294 - 5 months, 870p

Now i have studied 293 something between 1-2 months and i guess that i could PASS it but as i pay my exam fees myself i can't take the risk.
    For my defence why i have spent that much time and got so "few" points is that i don't use any braindumps (if having no enough skills and talents are not counted ;) ) .

I believe that my experiences might give some idea how much time and effort this exams could take.

Surprisingly 290 seems to be easiest (if MCDST exams are not counted, because they were not "real" MCSA/MCSE exams though they were counted as elective.)
    and 291 being most difficult.
    But it's hard to say because when time passes with studying this things year after year it starts to be easier to adopt Microsoft terms and general view of all this developes little while.

So it could be just illusion that AD 294 test is easier than lets say 291.. -but because 291 is mandatory MCSA exam theres propably no one whos taken those in different order, 294 first and then 291.. . .