Cisco Select Partners and SMB Specialization

Anybody out there running a Select Certified Cisco Partner?

I'm looking to get Select Certified with Cisco. I noticed these exams are required for partners to achieve the qualifications for the SMB Specialization, which is required for the Select Certified Partner designation:

The Cisco SMB Specialization requires two roles:
one account manager (AM) and one engineer (EN).
The two required SMB Specialization exams are:
650-175 SMBAM: SMB Specialization
for Account Managers
650-180 SMBEN: SMB Specialization
for Engineers

Has anyone taken these?

Anyone a Select Partner able to offer thoughts on it?

Comments

• hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    Anybody out there running a Select Certified Cisco Partner?

I'm looking to get Select Certified with Cisco. I noticed these exams are required for partners to achieve the qualifications for the SMB Specialization, which is required for the Select Certified Partner designation:

The Cisco SMB Specialization requires two roles:
    one account manager (AM) and one engineer (EN).
    The two required SMB Specialization exams are:
    650-175 SMBAM: SMB Specialization
    for Account Managers
    650-180 SMBEN: SMB Specialization
    for Engineers

Has anyone taken these?

Anyone a Select Partner able to offer thoughts on it?

I read this post a few weeks ago and was curious about it...while I don't have much to offer for help (hopefully somebody does?)...I'll bring this thread back to life and I'll add a question -- can the AM and EN be the same person?
  • netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    Yes. I took both the AM and EN to get the Select Certification, do you currently have a Account Manager contact with your local Cisco Office? They can give you access to the Cisco Partner Learning Center site where you will be able to view the training material online and then also take the exam online via VUE.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    netteaser wrote: »
    Yes. I took both the AM and EN to get the Select Certification, do you currently have a Account Manager contact with your local Cisco Office? They can give you access to the Cisco Partner Learning Center site where you will be able to view the training material online and then also take the exam online via VUE.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Local Cisco Office? Nope. I don't have any contact with Cisco other than the stuff we own. However, I've been freelancing lately and I'm thinking to myself "Ok, taking the AM and EN exams and doing the neccessary paperwork might be good -- and help me understand the product line better" Am I right, or is this a weird idea?
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    Local Cisco Office? Nope. I don't have any contact with Cisco other than the stuff we own. However, I've been freelancing lately and I'm thinking to myself "Ok, taking the AM and EN exams and doing the neccessary paperwork might be good -- and help me understand the product line better" Am I right, or is this a weird idea?

I'm in the same situation and was thinking the same thing. Plus, from what I've read, once you get the SMB Specialization, you can get free lab equipment.
  • netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    Once you get the Select Certification you dont actually get Lab equipment for free. You do get a discount from cisco to purchase NFR products for your lab. What kind of equipment are you currently working with now?
    netteaser wrote: »
    Once you get the Select Certification you dont actually get Lab equipment for free. You do get a discount from cisco to purchase NFR products for your lab. What kind of equipment are you currently working with now?

How does one get in to the EN or AM exams? I mean, with Cisco Career Certs, you take a class or read a book -- but how do you prepare to test on the sales side of things?

There is a LOT of info about there for resellers (it's kind of overwhelming).
    How does one get in to the EN or AM exams? I mean, with Cisco Career Certs, you take a class or read a book -- but how do you prepare to test on the sales side of things?

As far as getting it scheduled, when you go to VUE's website, then click Cisco, there's two choices, "Career Certifications" and "Online Exams". The "Online Exams" link will take you to the area where you take the partner exams.

There is supposedly free prep material on Cisco's partner website.

Forgot I had this link... this is the Cisco SMB University.

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-9188