Options

BCMSN lab setup

BosefusBosefus Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am going to start working on my BCMSN and am unsure of what equipment I need to purchase. I know I will need at least one multilayer switch, but from looking at the official lab book it also looks like I need some WAPs but I am unsure.

Current lab is:

1x 2509 (Just being used as terminal access server)
3x 3640
1x 2620XM
2x 2950

What do you all recommend?

Thanks
Working on CCNP, passed BSCI, Currently working on ONT.

Comments

• Options
    CCIE_2011CCIE_2011 Member Posts: 134
    haven't you think of using only dynamips?

advantages :
    Free of charge, not equipments, no extra power needed.
    If you invest that money to upgrade your desktop, you can use it even for CCIE laps.

however, there is no WAP with this approach.

this was my Point of view.
    . : | : . : | : .
  • Options
    ArtemArtem Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dynamips is not an option for BCMSN as you will miss most of the very important stuff like Rapid PVST+ and MST.

You will need at least 2 layer3-capable switches.
    3560s are ideal, but 3550s will do.

So grab at least 2x3550s. These switches will be your distribution layer.
    Add the 2x2950s you have as your access layer.
    Now, to have more fun with switching and learn something practical, throw in a 2948G - a CatOS switch. These are cheap nowdays and CatOS experience is still very much practical. CatOS 8.4(11)GLX will show you the entire collection of STP variants: pvst+, rapid-pvst+, mistp, mistp-pvst+, and mst.

As for WiFi, get the cheapest AP-12xx and an AIR-CB21AG-A-K9 adapter. Upgraded AP-12xx will run as a stand-alone or as a LAP. If you have $700+ you don't need, get a WLC.

You will also need a few phones, like 7940/60. Your 2620xm may be able to run a CallManager Express. BCMSN wants you to know FXO/FXS interfaces. 2620xm will work with voice cards.
  • Options
    I was looking at the 3560s and I do not think I can afford them with the other equipment I will need. The 3550s are going for around 200 which I can handle, but the 3560s are 800 each, which I cannot afford.

Would an 8 port 3560 be better than a 24 port 3550 to learn on?

For example, http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-Catalyst-3560-PoE-8-Switch-WS-C3560-8PC-S-V01_W0QQitemZ220477756437QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_EN_Hubs?hash=item33557f9415&_trksid=p4295.c0.m299

Prices on these vary I find, some go for around 300 other people sell them for 1000.

Does call manager express require the voice card module you were referencing?
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    8 port 3560's will definitely work. I used 4 or 5 of those when I was preparing for the BCMSN. I think the only thing you would miss out on if you stuck with a 3550 would be pvlan's. With that being said, I would pick whichever one you can find for the cheapest.

For the voice stuff, all of it is concepts. What role does a call manager play in an organization? What are the differences in an fxo and fxs interface. Things like that. I don't think it warrants purchasing a voice lab.

I agree with the other poster about not utilizing dynamips for BCMSN prep. Actually, the only part I used it for was practicing using the redundancy protocols such as HSRP, GLBP, and VRRP.

Lastly, don't understimate the wireless portion of this. Expect to do some additional cisco online doc reading about the wireless topics to supplement the lacking coverage in the cisco press material.

Good luck and enjoy.
  • Options
    CCIE_2011CCIE_2011 Member Posts: 134
    Ryan82 wrote: »
    Lastly, don't understimate the wireless portion of this. Expect to do some additional cisco online doc reading about the wireless topics to supplement the lacking coverage in the cisco press material.

Good luck and enjoy.

I agree wireless topic is the difficult among all, and the reason was not all of us did had any wireless equipments around.
    . : | : . : | : .
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't really heard anyone talk about this area atleast equipment wise. If someone was going to get lab equipment for it, what would be the best equipment for the price?
  • Options
    wastedtime wrote: »
    I haven't really heard anyone talk about this area atleast equipment wise. If someone was going to get lab equipment for it, what would be the best equipment for the price?

I have the same question.

Would the two access points that were recommended earlier do the trick?

Thank you all for all the responses.
  • Options
    Bosefus wrote: »
    I was looking at the 3560s and I do not think I can afford them with the other equipment I will need. The 3550s are going for around 200 which I can handle, but the 3560s are 800 each, which I cannot afford.

3550s are rock solid.
    Also, you did not mention what kind of 2950s you have. If your 2950s cannot run Enterprise feature set - they are useless.

Would an 8 port 3560 be better than a 24 port 3550 to learn on?

For example, Cisco Catalyst 3560 PoE-8 Switch, WS-C3560-8PC-S V01 - eBay (item 220477756437 end time Sep-14-09 16:08:11 PDT)

Prices on these vary I find, some go for around 300 other people sell them for 1000.

It is better to have 4 3550s than 1 8-port 3560. In order to practice 3560 features you need at least two of them. If you can' t pick up at least two - don't bother with 3560s at all. They are not that different than 3550s. In fact, you will be able to pick up learn 3560s very quickly after you are done with 3550s.
    Does call manager express require the voice card module you were referencing?

No, you need to voice cards to connect to PSTN, analog phones, and PBX.
  • Options
    wastedtime wrote: »

You need the following equipment to run a wireless lab:

At least 1 AIR-CB21AG-A-K9 wireless adapter - $15 on Ebay

At least 1 AIR-AP1231B-A-K9 (note that you can build an AP1231B out of AP1220B by upgrading the wireless module) - $50

At least 1 AIR-WLC2006-K9 or better - $700

At least 1 machine running WCS (Wireless Control System) - (have no idea how much that costs).

You will be able to learn pretty much all you need to know about the way Cisco does wireless with that setup.
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cool that isn't too bad, other than the WCS.
  • Options
    One of my 2950s is running

c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA13

The other is running

c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-23.EA6

I tried googling the IOS image to see what feature set the image is but came up with nothing.
  • Options
    One of my 2950s is running

c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA13

The other is running

c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-23.EA6

I tried googling the IOS image to see what feature set the image is but came up with nothing.

Those will do.
    The best image for 2950s is c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA13.bin

You can find the IOS feature lists here:
    http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp