keep up with routing knowledge

ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
I sometimes find myself embarassed in front of routing issues. The irony is that I could solve that kind of challenge in the past, during my BSCI studies.
Now I think I forgot a lot of that knowledge, because in my day-to-day work, I rarely use it.
any idea about what I could do to stay sharp in routing?

Comments

• ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Without going into great detail, a few things come to mind:
    You could setup a lab and practice various configurations and scenarios, you could continue reading about more routing topics, you could read the Cisco Press quick reference sheets.

You could study for another exam that would require basic routing knowledge to refresh things, etc........More later.icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Not much else you can do except use it. If you don't use the knowledge you lose it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was tempted to say that too but was resisting....:)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

I have the same issue. I just intalled dynamips on my work. Computer and build a big lab which a much around with a few times a week
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • base2base2 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A chapter a day...
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    go to the source....

Routing TCP/IP Volume #1
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    base2 wrote: »
    A chapter a day...

keeps the demons at bay? :o
  • kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103
    Not much else you can do except use it..

By impressing women at bars...
  • BosefusBosefus Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    While you may lose the knowledge, it will be much easier to get it back than it was to first learn it.

Nothing a little re-reading and labbing cannot fix.
    Working on CCNP, passed BSCI, Currently working on ONT.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bosefus wrote: »
    While you may lose the knowledge, it will be much easier to get it back than it was to first learn it.

Nothing a little re-reading and labbing cannot fix.

Amen! once you have wrapped your head around the topics once, you can usually refresh the knowledge quickly...
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Amen! once you have wrapped your head around the topics once, you can usually refresh the knowledge quickly...

Yep, and a couple rounds of refresh and "forget" later it seems to take longer to forget...
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ccnpninja wrote: »
    I sometimes find myself embarassed in front of routing issues. The irony is that I could solve that kind of challenge in the past, during my BSCI studies.
    Now I think I forgot a lot of that knowledge, because in my day-to-day work, I rarely use it.

I'm trying to constantly re-expose myself to topics so the CCIE will be easier, but man it is slowing down the CCNP stuff.
  • Morty3Morty3 Member Posts: 139
    miller811 wrote: »
    go to the source....

Routing TCP/IP Volume #1

I also thought of this. Going to get myself a copy, since the only questions I ever failed at in the two exams I have done have been routing-related.
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec, Net+, Sonicwall Admin (fwiw). Constantly getting into new stuff.
  • tim100tim100 Member Posts: 162
    miller811 wrote: »
    go to the source....

Routing TCP/IP Volume #1

I agree. This book should be on every network professional's book shelf. You should also have a home lab or dynamips up and running. Hands on is the most important aspect.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ccnpninja wrote: »

This happens a lot. In the field your time and energy is expended on working with what you have to support. Now you could build a lab at home and spend a lot of time with it. This is an option. But if your days are busy and long and you have family waiting for you at home you will find it difficult to put in lengthy hours there. I would still recommend you have some sort of reference model at home to tinker with as and when though.

Invest in Boson or Transcender practices tests across a swathe of technologies. These are accessible, easily used and a brief test can be fitted into a lunch hour or a commute. I find these quite useful for keeping your hand in. At the same time, some books are important. Have a range of books and throw one in your brief case. You can cover a chapter or two during the day.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Just keep labbing and reading. I look at a bunch of forums and blogs to keep my brain fresh and learn new things.