Forwarding Exchange 2003 mail

I'm trying to forward e-mail from an exchange account to an external e-mail address such as hotmail.

I've setup an additional "contact" in Active directory and pointed it to the hotmail account.

The "Exchange account" is then forwarded to the "contact"

E-mail to the exchange account is being delivered to the hotmail account but the sender gets a non delivery message even though the mail gets through.

Any ideas please?

Comments

• BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    I am guessing you want to keep a copy of the email in your exchange account which is why you are sending and then forwarding it on.

I would have thought if that was the case would be to setup a distribution list which has the two email addresses (or more) and in that include as members the exchange account and also the contact. They would both then get the email.

Only learning exchange here so might not be the answer your looking for but I think that might solve that delivery issue.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can you send to the contact by itself? Take the mailbox out of the equation - just pick the contact you created from the GAL and try sending mail to it. I suspect the problem is with the contact.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    Thanks for replies.

blargoe - you are correct, the problem is not the mailbox its the contact.

We have found that forwarding e-mail to a hotmail account or a pop3 external account gets delivered but the sender gets a non-delivery message, even though the e-mail gets through. We have tried forwarding to another (external) exchange server via SMTP and all is fine - no NDR messages.

To clarify, I'm really asking:
    Is a hotmail account SMTP / pop3 / http ???
    Can we forward to a pop3 account??

Could this issue be something to do with relaying and blocking of spam mails ???

Any further ideas welcomed.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You should be able to do this with any external email address that is public, such as Hotmail. As long as you are logged on as an authenticated user, Exchange should relay the messae to the SMTP server that is listed on the Internet as authoritative for hotmail.com.
    Could this issue be something to do with relaying and blocking of spam mails ???

It might.

What is the specific error message you get back when you send? Please copy the entire text of the message.

b
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    NDR message as follows, some e-mail details replaced with general text:

From: Mail Delivery System [mailto:MAILER-DAEMON@2366.myisp.net]

Sent: 15 September 2009 11:55
    To: A recipient (name removed)
    Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

This is the Postfix program at host server2366.myisp.net.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

<myname_mydomain_co_uk@cyrus-12.myisp.net> (expanded from
    <myname@mydomain.co.uk>):
    host frontend.myisp.net[10.0.17.167] said: 554 5.6.0 Message
    contains
    NUL characters (in reply to end of DATA command)
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    With a little searching, I found that the NUL issue is a design flaw in POSTFIX. See this thread: Re: Message contains NUL characters .... You may get something viable in this thread which will allow you to workaround your problem.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks