BSCI lab resources

rtrefzrtrefz Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys. I just failed the BSCI exam for the 3rd time (score 733 for the last 2 times. Multicast and IPv6 are killing me, with bgp not far behind). I've been pouring over the Cisco study guides, but obviously, it's not helping. Can smoeone suggest a good lab book, or site? I'm looking mainly for scenarios that I can try to solve using dynamips. I think I need something a bit more specific than noodling around. Thanks.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There's the Cisco Press BSCI lab Portfolio -- which is from the Cisco Network Academy course -- but if you don't understand the material it may not help you that much. But I'd say it's good for showing you the minimum hands on skills you need.

The Chris Bryant BSCI Ultimate Study Guide may be what you need to get over the hump -- if the two Cisco Press BSCI books aren't doing it for you (and you've put in the time and effort).
    Here's the link to his CCNP bundle page -- Cisco CCNP Study Guide Package BSCI ISCW ONT BCMSN Exam

And Doyle, Routing TCP/IP (volumes 1 and 2) are also very good if you want to "know it all." Don't let the fact that people use it to study for the CCIE scare you -- it's very good, detailed, and easy to read (if you're interested in the topics). While it may not line up exactly with the BSCI exam topics, it's always better to be over prepared for an exam than to be under prepared.

How much hands on lab time have you done to prepare for the BSCI exam? This is definitely one of the exams where the more lab time you have studying for the exam the easier it becomes.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • rtrefzrtrefz Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. This helps a lot. I haven't put much time in the labs. Niether my work, or home PC is very powerfull, so dynamips isn't running very well (I can get 4 routers running).
  • BosefusBosefus Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rtrefz wrote: »
    Thanks. This helps a lot. I haven't put much time in the labs. Niether my work, or home PC is very powerfull, so dynamips isn't running very well (I can get 4 routers running).

Are you setting the idle PC values on the routers?
    Working on CCNP, passed BSCI, Currently working on ONT.
  • suffahsuffah Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Another solution would be to get a cheap linux box running. dynamips is way smoother on a linux machine. Maybe you can dual boot on your main rig.