Junos Fast Track Certification Enhancements

SumptuousSumptuous Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
here is an e-mail i just got from Juniper today.

Dear Fast Track Participants,

Over the past few weeks we've updated the Fast Track portal and user experience to make it even easier for you to find courseware, take your pre-assessment exams, and ultimately, earn your JUNOS-based certifications. In addition, we've reinstated the 100% discount so now all courseware and certification exams in the Fast Track program are completely free! There are even more great improvements on the way. In our continued commitment to provide you with the most current courseware and certifications, we are pleased to announce that on September 18, 2009, Juniper will release the new JUNOS Security Certification Track exams, and at the same time all related course material will be made available on the Fast Track portal. Specifics include: * New Courses To Prepare for the new JNCIA-JUNOS Exam o Networking Fundamentals eLearning course o Introduction to JUNOS Software o JUNOS Routing Essentials o Troubleshooting JUNOS Platforms * New Courses To Prepare for the new JNCIS-SEC Exam o JUNOS for Security Platforms * New Certifications o JNCIA- JUNOS (This is a prerequisite to the JNCIS-SEC exam) o JNCIS-SEC (replaces JNCIS-ES) The new Networking Fundamentals, Introduction to JUNOS Software, JUNOS Routing Essentials, and Troubleshooting JUNOS Platforms courses and associated certification allow you to be current with our JUNOS routing features. The new JUNOS for Security Platforms course and associated certification allow you to be current with our security features on our SRX platforms. For those who have an existing JNCIA-ER or JNCIS-ER certification, these new courses and certifications are not required. However, if you are just beginning the process of becoming JUNOS certified, we highly recommend that you start with the new JUNOS courses. Please note that the new JNCIS-SEC certification replaces the existing JNCIS-ES exam, which will be retired on November 1, 2009. The last day to attempt the JNCIS-ES pre-assessment exam on the Fast Track portal is September 17, 2009. The last day to attempt the JNCIS-ES live exam at a Prometric testing is November 1, 2009. After this date you will be required to take the new certification exams noted above
2010 GOALS

MCITP,EA,SACWNACCNP

Comments

• AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Hey, I just posted on the same thing :D

I'm really excited about the fast track stuff for the SEC cert. Will be nice to get a voucher for it. Granted I won't have to pay for it for one way or another, but using a voucher is easier then getting reimbursed for it later :D

Also the JNCIA-JUNOS is another interesting step. From what I understand this will be a basic intro cert that will be more generalized and not specific to a service provider or an enterprise track. Maybe I should just take it to put an easy cert on my resume ;)
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • SumptuousSumptuous Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Aldur wrote: »
    Hey, I just posted on the same thing :D

I'm really excited about the fast track stuff for the SEC cert. Will be nice to get a voucher for it. Granted I won't have to pay for it for one way or another, but using a voucher is easier then getting reimbursed for it later :D

Also the JNCIA-JUNOS is another interesting step. From what I understand this will be a basic intro cert that will be more generalized and not specific to a service provider or an enterprise track. Maybe I should just take it to put an easy cert on my resume ;)

Yes you can say that again Aldur me too i cant wait to take any of the two exams,But well I think i will do them after the JNCIE -ER exam.
    2010 GOALS

MCITP,EA,SACWNACCNP
    Sumptuous wrote: »
    Yes you can say that again Aldur me too i cant wait to take any of the two exams,But well I think i will do them after the JNCIE -ER exam.

Oh yea, get that JNCIE-ER taken care of first. Do you have a date scheduled for it? If not you may want to go the Juniper website and schedule one, the dates tend to go somewhat fast.

Below is the link for the registrations, once you go there click on the "JNCTP Practical Exams" tab.

Exam Registration - Juniper Networks

-Bender
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    Hello,
    I participate in the Fast Track Program and I plan to achieve my first Juniper Certification in about a week. My sources of studdings are the videos from the Summer School and "Junos for Dummies" book, sо kindly given to me by the Juniper guys :). I also have some networking experience with Cisco Systems platforms. My question is can I handle JNCIA-M exam instead of ER with such base of knowledge.I am more interested in service provider's stuff, not so much in enterprise, so the "M" will be more suitable for me than "ER" .
    Non-native English speaker
    Sett wrote: »
    Hello,
    I participate in the Fast Track Program and I plan to achieve my first Juniper Certification in about a week. My sources of studdings are the videos from the Summer School and "Junos for Dummies" book, sо kindly given to me by the Juniper guys :). I also have some networking experience with Cisco Systems platforms. My question is can I handle JNCIA-M exam instead of ER with such base of knowledge.I am more interested in service provider's stuff, not so much in enterprise, so the "M" will be more suitable for me than "ER" .

Without a doubt I think you can handle the JNCIA-M.

With my personal experience I was pretty much in the same boat as you. I had taken some Cisco classes at my college but I had no real routing experience. There were alot of things that were unfamilar, BGP, MPLS, multicast, to name a few. But honestly it wasn't to bad. I studied for about a month and took the test.

The Sybex book will be your best friend and if you have access to any Juniper routers that would be helpful too. If you don't have access to any routers consider building an olive.

The 1U Olive is a great thread that walks though getting an olive up and running at a very cheap price.

Anyhow, study hard and let us know if you have any quesitons.

-Bender
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    Thanks Aldur. Actually, I have more experience than that, I work in SP and have some idea for BGP, MPLS, multicast. I am only afraid that I have no real practical experience with Junos, but will try to setup Olive and will go for the M.
    BTW, when does the FastTrack 100% discount vouchers expire. 30 Sept.?
    Non-native English speaker
    Sett wrote: »
    Thanks Aldur. Actually, I have more experience than that, I work in SP and have some idea for BGP, MPLS, multicast. I am only afraid that I have no real practical experience with Junos, but will try to setup Olive and will go for the M.
    BTW, when does the FastTrack 100% discount vouchers expire. 30 Sept.?

Good to hear, you're in a much better position then I was :D

Junos is surprisingly easy to learn, it really doesn't take that much to go from not knowing anything about it to being able to use it quiet well. Give yourself a month and some access to equipment and you'll be good to go.

The 100% discount vouchers at the FastTrack program are going to be offered till the end of the year. At that point it might drop to a 50% discount or none at all. So everybody's got till the end of the year to pick up some free Juniper certs :D

-Bender
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I started watching the JUNOS cert intro "class" today. I have to say I'm realllly impressed. The network intro class would be an excellent beginners course for nearly any networking student. I think that definitely should be recommended on here.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...