Which encryption methods for the protocols do I need to know?

mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
The only thing that i find not really covered in depth in my study guides is what encryption methods are used for a particular protocol? I see a lot of people saying this is needed for the exam.

for example my books cover that PGP uses its own decentralized type of digital certificates using an RSA based PKI method with two keys.

Which protocols and what encryption methods do they use do i need to know for the test?

Comments

• NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You should know the following although the test might not ask about all of them.

EAP, MS-CHAP (v1 and v2), CHAP, PAP, DES, 3DES, AES, RSA, Certificates.

You should also know MD5, SHA-1 (although these are hasing protocols not encryption)

Know PKI well too.
  • mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
    You should know the following although the test might not ask about all of them.

EAP, MS-CHAP (v1 and v2), CHAP, PAP, DES, 3DES, AES, RSA, Certificates.

You should also know MD5, SHA-1 (although these are hasing protocols not encryption)

Know PKI well too.

I am asking what encryption methods are used for protocols like SSL, PGP, L2TP,IPSEC,

Like I need to know what encryption method is used for a particular protocol.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    PGP uses DSA or RSA

IPSEC uses almost anything, it was designed to be flexible

SSL can use any of the following:
    L2TP uses IPsec for encryption
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used the Sybex book and it covers pretty well the different encyption for different protocols. You should load server 2k3 and play with the different protocols. Set up a VPN, RRAS, and secure them. Load a CA and practice with that.
    There are lots of good references on technet as well.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Excellent posts NightShade03, that really helps me.
  • msbachmanmsbachman Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Very good response, Nightshade03, thanks very much! :)
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Just to a add little to Nightshade03's response.

You'll also do well to have a solid understanding of what asymmetric and symmetric methods are, how they work (only from a basic perspective) and what protocols use which methods. (This may be what your study sources are trying to get across.)

For example, SSL and TLS are examples of protocols that use asymmetric encryption.

However, SSL and TLS also use symmetric encryption.

Why both? Asymmetric encryption is a secure method of exchanging a key over a public network (such as the Internet) but it isn't efficient. Once the key is securely exchanged, the remainder of the session uses this key for symmetric encryption.

I realize you may not be getting the exact answer to your question that you're asking for, but the question is broad. In my book, there are about 150 pages on cryptography (15 percent of the exam).

Darril Gibson
    www.sy0-201.com