Need advice about a uxix admin position

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a phone interview with Lycos tomorow for a entry level unix/linux systems administrator and I was wondering what kind of things they might ask me about.

Comments

• sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    I have a phone interview with Lycos tomorow for a entry level unix/linux systems administrator and I was wondering what kind of things they might ask me about.

What did they ask for in the job posting that you applied for?
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    What did they ask for in the job posting that you applied for?

An ideal candidate should be ready to learn and able to jump into new technologies quickly. An ability think “think on your feet” to diagnose and fix complex systems is required. This position requires an understanding of running secure Linux/Apache environments, good TCP/IP and networking skills, and most importantly to be a quick study to learn the ins and outs of Lycos-proprietary technology. Some programming experience (primarily Perl, PHP, or Python) is a strong plus in this position and candidates without these skills will need to learn on the job. Candidate must be able to assume 24/7 on-call responsibilities on a rotating schedule. (For example, one week per month.)

Windows experience desirable, but not required.

Education/Experience/Skills Required:
    • Candidate should have 1-5 years experience in web and Unix/Linux Systems administration, and managing servers in a datacenter environment.
    • Fundamentals of network technology including TCP/IP, UDP, HTTP, DNS, and SMTP.
    • Experience configuring and using common web applications such as Apache, Sendmail/Qmail/Postfix, MySQL, etc.
    • Entry-level programming experience: shell scripting, Perl, or PHP recommended.
    • Must have good communication skills, self-motivated, and able to accomplish tasks with minimal supervision.
    • Must be able to work independently, be a quick study, and be flexible and responsible. Willingness and ability to learn new technologies is a must.