Anyone know how to transfer a Half-Life 2 license?

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
I've heard it's possible. As in, one person gives up their posession of the key/license used with Steam, so another person can use it.

If they were to disable this, then no one could resell the game. Anyone know how to do it? I've looked briefly, but can't find anything. I'm wondering if Valve has buried it somewhere on their site, or even published it at all.

Comments

• TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not really sure how this would be possible, because I thought HL2 was imbedded into your Steam account and it was permanent. For example, I used to play CS all the time and when I installed Steam on a different computer I would login to my account and all the games I had would be installed on that PC and I could play CS from there.

Let us know if you find anything though, maybe you could call Valve and ask them if it's possible.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I've heard that it is possible, and in the license agreement it says you're free to sell/trade it. If you can't transfer a license, how else would this be possible?
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Click here

Last updated about a month ago, says that CD key transfers aren't possible at this time
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    Last I saw, they weren't allowing it... but there are tons of people doing so. I went ahead and bought the Silver Pack, so I've got a bunch of catching up to do with playing Valve's back catalog.
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Last I saw, they weren't allowing it... but there are tons of people doing so.

Question: If they aren't allowing it, how are people doing it? Even if you uninstall the game from your PC, the CD key is still attached to your Steam account.
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    They may just be selling their steam accounts. It worked for everquest players.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    TeKniques wrote:
    Last I saw, they weren't allowing it... but there are tons of people doing so.

Question: If they aren't allowing it, how are people doing it? Even if you uninstall the game from your PC, the CD key is still attached to your Steam account.

DB's right - they're selling their entire Steam accounts.
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Makes sense, all you have to do is change your password and give it to someone.