How many machines do I need to study for the MCSA exams?

I don't know that I would necessarily need another pc.

I have my desktop and laptop both running XP Pro, plus another cheap machine. It's only a PII 450Mhz, with 384 megs of RAM and a 10gig (or so) HD.

Since the only thing I want to do with 2003 server is study for these exams, will that machine be sufficient? MS lists the recommended at 550mhz.

Comments

• leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    yes that machine will run fine... and you have plenty machines.

just install 2003 on the 450 machine and you'll have 2 clients.

your desktop and laptop. I use a similair lab works fine for me.
    Dustin Leefers
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Just wondering if I'll need two servers, I've heard that you do...

I'm sure I can get by with just the one for 70-270, what about the others?
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm preparing for my MCSE study and I purchased one extra PC. Just like yours, a PII 450 Mhz 256 mb RAM for the client and I have a PIII 933 mhz 384 mb RAM for the server. Then a KVM switch so I only need one monitor. I think that will work okay for the basics. Does anyone else think you need more than 2 computers to prepare for the MCSE track?
  • JerzJerz Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TeKniques wrote:
    Does anyone else think you need more than 2 computers to prepare for the MCSE track?

Not if you use Virtual Server 2005 or something equivalent. It allows you to set up multiple servers on differnt virtual and non virtual subnets which allows for you to practice with domains, child domains, delegations, stub zones, secondary zones, vpn, ipsec, demand dial, dhcp relay agent, etc.... The more computers (or virtual computers) you practice with the better.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jerz wrote:
    Not if you use Virtual Server 2005 or something equivalent. It allows you to set up multiple servers on differnt virtual and non virtual subnets which allows for you to practice with domains, child domains, delegations, stub zones, secondary zones, vpn, ipsec, demand dial, dhcp relay agent, etc.... The more computers (or virtual computers) you practice with the better.

Thank you sir. I will look into that as well as the possibility of adding another machine or 2. It's just the space to put them that's my problem :o
    I guess I could always dual boot my desktop pc and turn it into a server.
    Another advantage of Virtual Server 2005 (or something equivalent) is when you install Windows Server 2003 multiple times you don't run into licensing issues since you are only installing to one machine. So you can have as many Virtual Servers as your machine can handle with only one OS license. ;)
    /usr wrote:
    I guess I could always dual boot my desktop pc and turn it into a server.

Ooohh I tried that and had problems. It might have something to do with "System Restore"; the dual boot would work fine for a while then it wouldn't boot right for some reason (currently it boots right into xp without giving the option of 2k3 anymore (possibly because system restore thought it should 'fix' boot.ini or something, I'm not sure)). I guess you could try turning off system restore first but I didn't have much luck with the dual boot route. Back up first.
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    But you can't put the desktop on the domain when dual booting.

Instead of dual boot, I preferred just installing another drive and configuring it as the master, then moving the ribbon cable when I wanted to switch OSes. Heck, my case cover is never on anyway. A bit cumbersome but no corruption issues.

I think it's nice to have at least two clients so you can work with stuff like roaming profiles (not suggested in real life, but this isn't real life-- it's a MS exam), Remote Installation Service and other fun things. I have a server and three clients. Luckily(?) for me the server's motherboard is showing leaking capacitors, so I get the experience of adding a second server to the domain and running DCPROMO to make it the PDC. Not looking forward to moving the drives and fixing the shortcuts and server references on the clients, but it's all part of the learning process. :)
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
    I ordered another case and arranged everything in my existing desk. As soon as my KVM switch gets in, I should be good to go.

If it's necessary later on, I don't mind formatting either my laptop or desktop and turning one of them into a temporary server. Much better than spending $400.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    lazyart wrote:
    Instead of dual boot, I preferred just installing another drive and configuring it as the master, then moving the ribbon cable when I wanted to switch OSes. Heck, my case cover is never on anyway. A bit cumbersome but no corruption issues.

lol.... I haven't seen the side door to my case in a long time. The again, I'm always checking to make sure the pumps are still pumping, which of course I've just discovered they're not. icon_evil.gif Oh well.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
    That's why I ordered a new case. The side panel wouldn't go on. The power supply wasn't mounted. I had to plug/unplug the machine to get it to work, shoving the power supply into the case every time I did this. The front panel also wouldn't fasten, thus the reason the power button wouldn't work.

Needless to say, it's new home is the dumpster. icon_wink.gif
    My side door goes on, I just have to leave it off because of the constant watching for the liquid pumps. I've noticed recently, there looks like an algae build up, which my have clogged and shut down one of the pumps. So now, I have to fully disassemble the machine, get all of the electrical out, and replace a pump, probably making a big ol' mess...... crash.gif but alas, it does allow me to OC the hell out my box.... icon_twisted.gif
    Oh... here is a good lab on Technet... making it a good excuse to have four servers and a client set up.
    Ricka182 wrote:
    lol.... I haven't seen the side door to my case in a long time.

How do you get the side door on?
    Jerz wrote:
    Ricka182 wrote:
    lol.... I haven't seen the side door to my case in a long time.

How do you get the side door on?

That's F'ed up big time!!! That is almost exactly what it used to look like. I actually have it cleaned up quite a bit. Talking about it made look at every day. I still have to take it apart to fix the pumps, but it's not that bad, anymore....... drunken_smilie.gif
    Good thing you don't have an animal that can get tangled up in that mess. icon_wink.gif
  • thoreldanthoreldan Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi, newbie here in ms certifications....
    i intend to get another machine so i have win2003 server on one and xp pro as the client for the other.

Now the question is: can i use broadband router (mine's a Prolink ADSL 4-port) to hook them up? or do i need a proper switch?

Thanks in advance :)