failed bsci!

jrs91jrs91 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
I got a 733 and needed 790 to pass. There were 61 questions on my exam (more when you consider the testlets).

I got killed by the first simulation, which just happened to be the first question I had on the exam. It had a really long description and my mind just wasn't absorbing it because I had a serious case of brain fog at the beginning of the exam. I wasted 20 minutes on it. When I finally figured it out, I felt like a major dumbass because it was such a simple fix. I went through the lab portfolios so it wasn't really lack of practice, but the sim was based on an option of a command that I had never configured. If it weren't for the brain fog it would have jumped-out at me when I did show run.

Anyway, after that I was short on time for the rest of the exam. That meant I had to guesstimate some answers instead of doing the conversions, maybe not give other questions the full consideration they deserved, and I missed 5 or 6 questions at the end because I didn't get to them and I lost track of the timer. FWIW the other sim I got I finished in < 5 minutes. I definitely identified some weak areas that I can touch-up on. I'm going to take it again next week.

FWIW, I started my prep for the exam at the end of june. It was all new material for me. I read the relevant chapters in routing tcp/ip vol. 1&2, as well as the exam cert guide. I understood everything as I read it and didn't really struggle with anything. I did the lab portfolios. But then I didn't do any studying at all in august and just finished off multicast/ipv6 and started my review last week. I probably should have waited a bit longer before taking it but I just wanted to see what the exam would be like (and I was hoping to move on to bcmsn while i still had a week and a half left of vacation).

Anyway, I have a couple questions. Does anyone know if simulations receive the same weight as other questions? I honestly don't know, and if I had known that they were worth the same as a regular question, I would have just hit next instead of wasting so much time on it.

Also, has anyone used the Chris Bryant stuff? For $200 bucks I might just purchase the CCNP bundle if I think it's worth it. What's in his study guides? His website is terrible and doesn't give you any idea about content. It just reads like a giant and poorly presented infomercial. Are there practice problems? Test-taking tips? Troubleshooting labs? I don't really need someone to repeat what's already in books I own.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jrs91 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if simulations receive the same weight as other questions?
    Simulations are worth more -- but the CCNA exam "10 minute rule" (and time management/watch the clock during the exam advice) still applies for the CCNP exams.
    jrs91 wrote: »
    Also, has anyone used the Chris Bryant stuff?
    A lot of people have used his material to "get over the hump." I'm surprised that there isn't a Chris Bryant Cult web site. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Yes, Chris Bryant is good. I like his Train Signal videos better than pdf guides, but the content is the same. I prefer his material over the CBT Nuggets as he goes deeper into the material. Some will argue that he is not as engaging as Jeremy Ciora and I will agree, but there is more depth to his material.

Hope this helps.
  • jrs91jrs91 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just bought them so I guess I'll see how it is. I doubt I would have failed a second time, I just plainly wasn't well enough prepared on a couple topics and I knew that going in. Having the extra labs and a more concise study guide will be helpful for the next 3 exams as well.
  • accelyaccely Member Posts: 101
    I agree, the train signals he does are awesome and in depth. If I'm doing new material I watch CBT first, then train signals to concrete the topics and ideas.
    Progress: CCIE RS Lab scheduled for Jan. 2012
    Equipment: Cisco 360 program racks

• You gotta watch out on those SIMS they kill you on time. Try and remember the one that got ya. Study and practice that so if you see it again you will have it down pat. ALSO USE THE ? button on the commands, I did it on every SIM I took just to make sure I did it correctly it will also help you over come a freeze.

AND MAKE SURE THAT AFTER EVERY ROUTER or SWITCH THAT YOU CONFIGURE YOU DO A COPY RUN STAR or else you get no credit on the question icon_study.gif
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • purebluepureblue Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    AND MAKE SURE THAT AFTER EVERY ROUTER or SWITCH THAT YOU CONFIGURE YOU DO A COPY RUN STAR or else you get no credit on the question icon_study.gif

Are you definitely positive on this?
    CCNP : Done!

iosadventures.blogspot.com :study:
  • iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269

I've actually heard otherwise but I do it anyway. Better safe than sorry.
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

Thats definitely not true. It wouldn't hurt though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Just repeating what the instructor at the CCNA class I took at Cisco in Boxborough MA. told the entire class
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    I can verify the 'write' and 'copy' commands were not available on the BCMSN exam I sat.