Transcender BCMSN Review

CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
I took my first Transcender practice exam for the BCMSN. I bought the online version. I have used Trancesnder in the past for Microsoft exams and have always been happy with them, and I used Boson for the CCNA as I was told Transcender was "not as good."

I scored a 94, but the test seemed far too easy. I was able to fly through the questions without having to think much. I have never done this well on any practice exam the first time, and I feel like I may have wasted my $69.

I will be finishing the rest of the practice exams and sitting the exam late next week or the following week, and I will keep you all posted.

*** EDIT: I was able to pass the BCMSN, but the Trancender only helped marginally. The level of questions on the real exam were much more difficult, and the Transcender can easily give you a false sense of security. I recommend spending your money on other study materials instead.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Maybe you just really know your stuff!

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    Cyanic wrote: »
    I took my first Transcender practice exam for the BCMSN. I bought the online version. I have used Trancesnder in the past for Microsoft exams and have always been happy with them, and I used Boson for the CCNA as I was told Transcender was "not as good."

I scored a 94, but the test seemed far too easy. I was able to fly through the questions without having to think much. I have never done this well on any practice exam the first time, and I feel like I may have wasted my $69.

I will be finishing the rest of the practice exams and sitting the exam late next week or the following week, and I will keep you all posted.

I think it's up to you to decide whether you think the Transcender practice tests covered the content as well as it should. Look at your studies and see what it didn't touch on. I enjoyed the CCNA test. I believe the ICND1/2 books came with the Boson test engine, and it didn't work well for me so I went with Transcender. Not to say it didn't have it's own "features".

Let us know how you do and whether you think it was worth the money you spent. I have always used the Transcender tests until I scored in the 90's at which point I figure I'd pull the trigger and sit the test. It hasn't failed me yet, but I'm sure at some point I will hit a wall.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • qp81qp81 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd like to know as well, I'm looking in to getting the CCNP package from them or preplogic. How do you have your studies structured and what kind of background do you have?
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    I am using the Global Knowledge self paced training, official exam certification guide, and portable command guide for my studies. For my labs I am using the Global Knowledge remote labs, they are 2x3750, 2x2950, and a WLC and LAP, my personal lab at work 4x3550, and at home 1x3550 2x2950 which I havn't used very much.

I have 8 years in the industry, 4 in IT security and 4 in networking (monitoring and troubleshooting). I have carried the CCNA since 2001 scoring 900+ every time. I don't do the configs on our equiptment, but I have access to run all 'show' commands on them. I would say about 1/2 of the BSMSN is new to me and most of it to this level of detail.
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    I would say make sure you are running lots of labs. Speed in the labs, knowing HOW to configure the concepts are very important. Time is short and if you dont know quickly and efficiently how to perform what they are asking you to perform, you could cause problems for yourself down the road. LAB LAB LAB is the key here. Learn the material, know the theory, but know how to do it. Especially if most of this is new to you. Learn how to do it above it all.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab