Just passed 101

I just sat the LPIC 101 exam today and passed! Score isn't particulary high 590 out of 800 but I'll take it, I actually wanted 501 out of 800 with 500 being the pass minimum, I just love to see three-point shots scored at the buzzard of a basketball game.
It wasn't a festival of the bizzare like I thought it would be, questions were fairly straight forward and there were no complicated scenarios that hide what you are actually tested on. There was plenty of time for review. More than once I caught myself saying "oooough, I saw this somewhere in the prep material but I just can't remember exactly now". Looking back at the sims for this exam that are on the net, some of them were actually more difficult than the exam itself. However, it wasn't exactly a walk in the park either.
Since most of the guides for 101 are outdated or irrelevant and having in mind my bitter expirience with third-party guides (and since there's no official LPI guide all guides are third party) I used many sources for the prep. Mainly, I used coreutils and grub man pages and also one of the best books on Linux, Sobell's "Linux command line and shell scripting" with a multitude of articles, tutorials and howto's from various sources.
102 seems like a logical next step although I am not terribly happy about having to compile my own prep material again. Novell's Certified Linux Admin certification looks a bit more organized, because of both the availibility of authorized prep material and certification path once you pass that exam.
I am off to regain my social life back after spending months in isolation and then I'll see about the next cert to be taken.

Comments

• elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    congrats!!!!!

i'm abt a month away from doing both 101,102 at the same time.
    stonecold26.jpg
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    elover_jm wrote: »
    congrats!!!!!

i'm abt a month away from doing both 101,102 at the same time.
    Thank you. They'll let you do that? Change of rules perhaps, as I saw at the LPI website nothing was said about that possibility... Are you paying the full price for both exams when you take them at once? Meaning 160 a pop...
  • elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    varelg wrote: »
    Thank you. They'll let you do that? Change of rules perhaps, as I saw at the LPI website nothing was said about that possibility... Are you paying the full price for both exams when you take them at once? Meaning 160 a pop...

Well if the rule doesn't allow that, then i'll do the other the next day ..........full price :).
    stonecold26.jpg
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Congratz. I found the 101 to be a lot harder than the 102. The reason being is I used a lot more of the stuff from 102. I've had practice with samba, and ssh, and all the different servers, where as during the 101 I never really used fmt, or od, or even X!

Good luck on the 102.
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    varelg wrote: »
    I just sat the LPIC 101 exam today and passed! Score isn't particulary high 590 out of 800 but I'll take it, I actually wanted 501 out of 800 with 500 being the pass minimum, I just love to see three-point shots scored at the buzzard of a basketball game.
    It wasn't a festival of the bizzare like I thought it would be, questions were fairly straight forward and there were no complicated scenarios that hide what you are actually tested on. There was plenty of time for review. More than once I caught myself saying "oooough, I saw this somewhere in the prep material but I just can't remember exactly now". Looking back at the sims for this exam that are on the net, some of them were actually more difficult than the exam itself. However, it wasn't exactly a walk in the park either.
    Since most of the guides for 101 are outdated or irrelevant and having in mind my bitter expirience with third-party guides (and since there's no official LPI guide all guides are third party) I used many sources for the prep. Mainly, I used coreutils and grub man pages and also one of the best books on Linux, Sobell's "Linux command line and shell scripting" with a multitude of articles, tutorials and howto's from various sources.
    102 seems like a logical next step although I am not terribly happy about having to compile my own prep material again. Novell's Certified Linux Admin certification looks a bit more organized, because of both the availibility of authorized prep material and certification path once you pass that exam.
    I am off to regain my social life back after spending months in isolation and then I'll see about the next cert to be taken.

Congrats on your pass. Any recommendation on study material for the 101 and 102 exams? Any books or online tutorials?

Thanks! icon_thumright.gif
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%