649 then 647

royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
So, I've decided to finally do my Server 2008 certs since I've got out a lot of the other stuff out of the way such as all my OCS Certs (just passed my voice exam which was very difficult).

I have the following book for 648/649:
Amazon.com: MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-648 & 70-649): Transitioning Your MCSA/MCSE to Windows Server® 2008 (9780735626331): Orin Thomas, Ian McLean: Books

Do you think I should bother getting a book specific to 647 or just read the book I have and then schedule both exams?
“For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seriously over 50 views and not a single suggestion? :/
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    royal wrote: »
    So, I've decided to finally do my Server 2008 certs since I've got out a lot of the other stuff out of the way such as all my OCS Certs (just passed my voice exam which was very difficult).

Amazon.com: MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-648 & 70-649): Transitioning Your MCSA/MCSE to Windows Server® 2008 (9780735626331): Orin Thomas, Ian McLean: Books

Do you think I should bother getting a book specific to 647 or just read the book I have and then schedule both exams?

It depends on your comfort level coming from 03... 649 was a breeze for me and 647 was the hardest in the track by far but not exceptionally hard if you know your stuff. I bought the 647 press book but barely looked it over(Don't like the design exam format of MS). Overall the 649 for me was a 2 and the 647 a 6.

It does test your knowledge on all the new 08 features so as long as they're clear you should have no problems.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i literally just finished reading the 647 MS Press book. It is pretty well written. Although, I did feel like I wanted more towards the end.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Its hard for me to believe that an exchange MVP is going to need to do anything more than simply skim 1 book real quick before taking the 647.

Good luck :)
  • dfosbennerdfosbenner Member Posts: 106
    Hey royal, how's the 647 prep coming along? I am planning to start in the next 30 days.
    MCTS
    MCITP: SA & EA
    MCSE: NT, 2000, 2003
    MCSA: 2000, 2003
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Its hard for me to believe that an exchange MVP is going to need to do anything more than simply skim 1 book real quick before taking the 647.

He's out to master the material, not just pass an exam. I'm sure he could pass it on a whim if he wanted to. He got where he is by being thorough ;)
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    royal wrote: »

I'd have responded to this post had I seen it. It's probably too late now.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the book for 647. It's basically the same stuff over again.
    Good luck to all!
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    What is exactly an MVP?
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
    AlexMR wrote: »
    What is exactly an MVP?

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
    MCTS
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    AlexMR wrote: »
    What is exactly an MVP?

It means Royal has entered into demigodhood.

Once he achieves MCM and them MCA his head will actually be replaced by eternally burning fire that we will not be permitted to look upon directly without going blind.
    It means Royal has entered into demigodhood.

Once he achieves MCM and them MCA his head will actually be replaced by eternally burning fire that we will not be permitted to look upon directly without going blind.

Yes, it's a very impressive credential!

I'm still working on my DOA.

;)
    MCTS
    The Sybex 647 book gives a lot of real world scenarios for different design considerations. I've found it to be an easy read and very beneficial.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    The Sybex 647 book gives a lot of real world scenarios for different design considerations. I've found it to be an easy read and very beneficial.

Wow, I found it to be the worst exam prep book I've ever used. Not enough depth, inexcusable examples of poor editing (including not removing an editor's remarks out of the printed book), and just generally a poor exam prep book.
    Good luck to all!
  • danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    inexcusable examples of poor editing (including not removing an editor's remarks out of the printed book)

Hey! You've convinced me! I want to buy it now - if only for the schadenfreude of spotting all the snafus.
    -- Dan
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Wow, I found it to be the worst exam prep book I've ever used. Not enough depth, inexcusable examples of poor editing (including not removing an editor's remarks out of the printed book), and just generally a poor exam prep book.

There are countless editing mistakes. I feel like it would be a good review right before the test if you've already read the MS Training Kit. I think the MS book is a lot better, but this one is good for a quick review. It should definitely not be your ONLY source for this exam.
    I usually don't read two exam prep books before taking an exam. Sure, I've supplemented an exam prep book with a book that's more in depth about the product from time to time.

While I've read some exam prep books that are better than others, I've found exam prep books to only provide so much prep for the exam. Reading two in my experience is a waste of time.
    Good luck to all!