CEF Punt pneumonic?

cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
Alright guys, I normally don't post such lame stuff but I need a pneumonic for this and it just so happens I suck at such a task.

I need a pneumonic for remembering all of the conditions that can cause a CEF Punt.

Any contributions are appreciated.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    List them and maybe some of us Cisco noobs can contribute :D

Edit:

located
    full
    expired
    mtu
    icmp
    encapsulation
    tunneled
    access list
    nat

Look for Eskimos mating in every town and nation

http://books.google.com/books?id=-rnt_ik0mSYC&pg=PA314&lpg=PA314&dq=CEF+Punt+conditions&source=bl&ots=LDeWv98CTf&sig=jwbWvJpXI5B2_ALO93n2Tt6BdnI&hl=en&ei=hzO4SsiSN4jGlAerk_nIDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3#v=onepage&q=CEF%20Punt%20conditions&f=false

That work?
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik rocks.

long time no see, how have you been man?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For sure. Each time you come back I expect you to have your CCNP. What gives? ;)

I'm doing well. Moved down to Baton Rouge for a security position. It's a great time too; I don't want to go through another MN winter icon_lol.gif
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Mnemonic not pneumonic :P Pneumonic means something to do with lungs.
    dynamik wrote: »
    For sure. Each time you come back I expect you to have your CCNP. What gives? ;)

Yeah I know man. Life keeps happening...just had our 3rd child not too long ago, etc, etc.

I'm working on drumming up some local Cisco nerds right now. Going to try to surround myself with some intelligent people and see how much that helps. It doesn't help much that I'm a perfectionist. OCDs suck, and that one happens to be mine. If I can't answer any and every open ended question I can come up with, then I'm not comfortable taking the test. Probably something psychological....but hey, that why I scored well over 900 on the two Cisco tests I've taken. I don't like holding a cert I can't back up. When I schedule this sucker I will own it.

Had a phone interview for a senior network engineer position a few months back...they said I gave them the best showing they've ever seen on routing protocols. Getting that kind of feedback feels pretty good.
    tiersten wrote: »
    Mnemonic not pneumonic :P Pneumonic means something to do with lungs.

Hah. Further proving my point that I can't write my own.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Yeah I know man. Life keeps happening...just had our 3rd child not too long ago, etc, etc.

I'm working on drumming up some local Cisco nerds right now. Going to try to surround myself with some intelligent people and see how much that helps. .

Have you joined the following Kansas City Cisco User group?

LinkedIn | Sign In
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

I'm working on drumming up some local Cisco nerds right now. Going to try to surround myself with some intelligent people and see how much that helps. It doesn't help much that I'm a perfectionist. OCDs suck, and that one happens to be mine. If I can't answer any and every open ended question I can come up with, then I'm not comfortable taking the test. Probably something psychological....but hey, that why I scored well over 900 on the two Cisco tests I've taken. I don't like holding a cert I can't back up. When I schedule this sucker I will own it.

Had a phone interview for a senior network engineer position a few months back...they said I gave them the best showing they've ever seen on routing protocols. Getting that kind of feedback feels pretty good.

You certainly study hard. Best of luck to you.
    Good find Miller, that is right up the street from me. I'll have to check my calender but I'll probably show up.
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    What about packets destined to a SVI on the switch; would this be considered a punt?
    Cyanic wrote: »
    What about packets destined to a SVI on the switch; would this be considered a punt?

These are treated the same as packets destined for a physical interface. If there an entry in the FIB they won't have to be punted.
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    Hehe, I see I was not clear. What I meant to say is packets destined to the SVI for the machine itself and not for routing, e.g. SSH and SNMP to the switch in question.

If I understand this correctly, this can't be processed on the ASIC and will need to be processed on the CPU. A punt, correct?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes, anything destined for the router itself is process switched.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Good find Miller, that is right up the street from me. I'll have to check my calender but I'll probably show up.

I found the Nashville Cisco Users Group about 4 months ago, and attended the last 4 meetings. They have been very informative, free dinner, a presentation of some sort, and general networking with a bunch of Cisco engineers. The Nashville group has about 30 members attend per month, although there are over 100 members.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283