In of the year to optimistic?

hatchhatch Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am looking to take the ICND1(CCent) before the end of the year. I am not a complete noob to this. I have read through some cisco books for ccna 3-4 times(never took the test). I am not coming from this a position of complete ignorance. The one thing I am worried about is hands on, though from what I understand the ICND1 has only basic config examples on the test. Is this a realistic goal to be ready to take this test by December?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't think that is an unrealistic goal. With your prior understanding of the material and some good study time you should be able to have ICND1 down in a couple months.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I agree. Especially since your not a noob. I would say if you dedicate the proper amount of time and focus, you can do it with no problems.
  • bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hatch wrote: »
    I am looking to take the ICND1(CCent) before the end of the year. I am not a complete noob to this. I have read through some cisco books for ccna 3-4 times(never took the test). I am not coming from this a position of complete ignorance. The one thing I am worried about is hands on, though from what I understand the ICND1 has only basic config examples on the test. Is this a realistic goal to be ready to take this test by December?

I would say you would be ready by the end of October if you study hard.

Literature:
    • CCENT 640-822 Exam-Cram (ISBN: 978-0-7897-3715-1)
    • CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide (ISBN: 978-1-58720-181-3)
    Videos:
    • CBT Nuggets - ICND1 - Video Series with Jeremy Cioara
    • Train Signal - ICND1 - Video Series with the ever popular Chris Bryant
    Software:
    • Packet Tracer v5.2 from cisco **FREE**
    • GNS3 w/ Dynamips/Dynagen **FREE** - You will need a Cisco IOS **NOT FREE** for this to work

I can't stress enough how awesome Packet Tracer and GNS3 is. Packet Tracer is free and more than enough to get you by for the ICND1 and ICND2. I only used GNS3 for my ICND1, and I plan on stacking the 2 for my ICND2 next month.

Word of advice, if you even think you are remotely ready, set the date out for a week later and you will suddenly find more motivation to study harder. Don't procrastinate and don't even think about brain ****. If you don't know what a brain **** is, then stick to the above material and you will be fine.

EDIT: And welcome to the forums! You'll find everything you need and more here.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • jeesarejeesare Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hatch wrote: »
    The one thing I am worried about is hands on, though from what I understand the ICND1 has only basic config examples on the test. Is this a realistic goal to be ready to take this test by December?

Using Packet Tracer or real equipment would take care of this. Trust me, you'll be surprise how much you learn when you're troubleshooting. I find it more beneficial when something is not working right the 1st time rather then getting it to work right away. For each topic you learn, setup a lab.
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Seriously, grab a copy of Packet Tracer. It is the best tool there is for the CCNA. Packet Tracer is designed for students completing the CCNA and it is made by Cisco.

Forget about GNS3 until after you get the CCNA.

You still need quite a bit of hands on for ICND1 like setting up basic networks with RIP and the like.
  • AD227529AD227529 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ICND1 before the end of the year is very doable, especially if you already have some experience. Start practicing some lab scenarios and taking some practice tests online. Definately know subnetting cold before you set for the real exam. I recommend Jeremy Cioara's CBT Nuggets video series if you need more study aids. Good luck on the exam. I'm taking the ICND2 test on December 14th. Hope to be a full CCNA for 2010, then start looking for another job. Good luck!
    CCNA, CCENT, A+, Net+, Security+