It's Over...

pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
My 6 month bout with unemployment, that is...

Got a call this morning from a number on my caller ID which was from a phone interview I did last Friday. They offered me the position without ever having to come in for a face-to-face interview. I had only submitted my application back on the 19th of last month, got a call on the 17th of this month to set up a phone interview which we did on the 19th. Offer came today and NEVER got the chance to do the face-to-face interview.

Now, which entity is capable of moving at such a breakneck speed you say? Only your very own United States Government! Indeed!

Downside is it's a pretty low starting scale - but it beats zero.

IT position, mostly generalized knowledge but requiring some mainframe experience and a particular focus on JAVA programming (which I have zero of - yet).

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pipemajor wrote: »
    My 6 month bout with unemployment, that is...

Got a call this morning from a number on my caller ID which was from a phone interview I did last Friday. They offered me the position without ever having to come in for a face-to-face interview. I had only submitted my application back on the 19th of last month, got a call on the 17th of this month to set up a phone interview which we did on the 19th. Offer came today and NEVER got the chance to do the face-to-face interview.

Now, which entity is capable of moving at such a breakneck speed you say? Only your very own United States Government! Indeed!

Downside is it's a pretty low starting scale - but it beats zero.

IT position, mostly generalized knowledge but requiring some mainframe experience and a particular focus on JAVA programming (which I have zero of - yet).

Hells yea! icon_cheers.gif At money is money.
    Are you planning to do formal classes on Java or are you going to pick a book and kill it? From what I have heard, Java can be difficult to learn through self study if you don't have programming experience. If you do, it doesn't seem to be that bad.
    Are you moving or is the job local?

By the way congratsicon_cheers.gif:):D
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations! Now you can finally breathe.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • JoeysmamaJoeysmama Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats great news!! It sucks being without a job!icon_cheers.gif
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Congrats on the new gig!
    Dustin Leefers
  • pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Hells yea! icon_cheers.gif At money is money.
    Are you planning to do formal classes on Java or are you going to pick a book and kill it? From what I have heard, Java can be difficult to learn through self study if you don't have programming experience. If you do, it doesn't seem to be that bad.
    Are you moving or is the job local?

By the way congratsicon_cheers.gif:):D

Job is local and also requires some legacy COBOL experience (which I have). Won't be doing JAVA right away. My technical degree 30 years ago was data processing - COBOL, IBM Assembler, FORTRAN, BASIC, RPG. Basically all the things no one uses now (except for the federal government).
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man! Earning a small check is better than being broke :)icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Can you say what agency or is that a no no? I'm going to guess Department of Justice, Federal Reserve, or possibly the IRS/Treasury Department.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Congrats! Can you say what agency or is that a no no? I'm going to guess Department of Justice, Federal Reserve, or possibly the IRS/Treasury Department.

First of all, the Federal Reserve is the environment I just came from. Had a 30 month project with them. And the Fed is NOT affiliated with federal civil service. The 12 Federal Reserve Banks are PRIVATE employers. The Chairman and Board of Governors appointed by the President and confirmed by Congress are federal employees. It's a common misconception. In fact my soon-to-be employer was surprised I wasn't already in the federal civil service record database.

No, I'm going to the Dept. of Veterans Benefits. Yes, I am a vet (USAF '79-'84). I've not yet signed anything. In fact, they said the paperwork being sent to me will not likely arrive until after I start on Monday.

Yes, it will feel good to get up and GO TO WORK on Monday. I love Mondays. And this is a perm position. I've been doing contract/temp work for the past 7 years. Even though this is not a Cisco job, I will still complete my CCNA. I have about 5 chapters left to go for my ICND2 exam. If successful, I'll finally be full CCNA. I got the CCENT back in July.