Considering buying layer 3 switches for BCMSN

wksizemorewksizemore Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm about to start my BCMSN studies and was scouting out layer 3 switches, which I know are expensive. I have seen some cheap ones on e-bay but I'm wondering if there are anything I should watch out for... like a reason they are so low. I dont work around Cisco equipment so I'm not sure what to look out for. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Avoid the XL stuff, go with a 3550 or better. Check Odom's lab blog out too:

CCNP Lab Series ? Master Links | NetworkWorld.com Community
  • human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    You can pickup an 3550 off EBAY for between 200 to 300 dollars. the SMI version does not have full layer 3 functionality, the EMI does.

The hardware is the same. Just the IOS is Different.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    I got my 3550 for $150 with free shipping :) Bid smart and you can easily get one for under $200.

However, if you don't have access to Cisco images, then you may want to look at one of the dealers that throw on the enhanced (EMI) image. Those dealers usually offer a warranty to boot. Last time I looked they were going for about $230.
  • wksizemorewksizemore Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback guys; it is much appreciated!
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    switch IOS are free to download from cisco.com. so don't worry about having an out of date image.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    aordal wrote: »
    switch IOS are free to download from cisco.com. so don't worry about having an out of date image.

Not really, especially not without a contract.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    aordal wrote: »
    EMI requires you to buy a license. Whilst you may be able to download it without a contract, it doesn't actually mean it is free. Cisco have said they track that stuff.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    tiersten wrote: »
    EMI requires you to buy a license. Whilst you may be able to download it without a contract, it doesn't actually mean it is free. Cisco have said they track that stuff.

I thought they had changed it now so IOSs like the EMI couldn't be downloaded without that contract being in place.
    Kam.
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    Ciscokits.com sells the 3550 EMI version switch.

Cisco Catalyst 3550 Switch CCNP Kit
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    shadown7 wrote: »
    Ciscokits.com sells the 3550 EMI version switch.

Cisco Catalyst 3550 Switch CCNP Kit
    If you are diligent or lucky you can do better on ebay. Also probably get a newer IOS image.
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    If you are diligent or lucky you can do better on ebay. Also probably get a newer IOS image.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not that far in my CCNP study's so I haven't researched a L3 switch yet.

Thanks again,

Keith