Options

Installing Win 7 ! !

murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
Oh...no big deal. Just thought I would share :). At work in this cold ass data center. Mind as well install on a warm VHD of Win7.
Next up
CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
ITIL Intermediate Service Operations

Comments

• Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Installed it with virtualbox using only an 8GB VHD and it runs fine. :D
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    that's what i want to hear. using the exact same thing. 10GB though
    Next up
  • Options
    bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    murdatapes wrote: »
    Oh...no big deal. Just thought I would share :). At work in this cold ass data center. Mind as well install on a warm VHD of Win7.

It's been my main OS on my home pc for 4-5 months. Runs flawlessly. 64bit
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • Options
    Cool. also running 64bit on my laptop. glad to know it runs well. just finished installing...now lets see...
    Next up
  • Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bgrablin wrote: »
    It's been my main OS on my home pc for 4-5 months. Runs flawlessly. 64bit

Same here and never had a problem. I bought a copy off amazon when it was discounted (the pro version) and i cant wait for it to arrive! although i may sell it and get ultimate... struggling to decide whether the extra money for bitlocker to go is worth it though.

What pc specs are people using to run it then?? mine is:

Asus Crosshair mobo
    AMD Phenom 9750 cpu
    4gb OCZ titanium ram
    nVidia Geforce 9600GT graphics
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been using 7 since build 7000 in April. I installed 7201 RC2 in July and recently installed 7 ultimate with no problems. Its a rock solid OS.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Been running 7 Ultimate on my laptop for two days. So far so good.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Got W7 64 bit on my desktop and laptop. Both work fine. A few driver issues with the laptop like non functioning webcam but thats mainly because its a VAIO and came with 32 bit Vista. Standby seems a bit weird sometimes as well but nothing major.
  • Options
    I believe it is a finished version of Vista.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

My Site | Face
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    first OS where the word "driver" was not involved. not even for a pair of raptors (required driver Vista and below). caught my printers, scanners... really, no drivers to install.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    Asus P5N-32E-SLI-PLUS
    Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz (OC'd to 3.0GHz on air) lapped!
    6GB Corsair Dominator Ram
    8800GTX
    2x350GB Raid 1

My Site | Face
  • Options
    Lamini wrote: »
    first OS where the word "driver" was not involved.
    That just means your hardware is old enough to have drivers included or it has a standardised interface.
    Lamini wrote: »
    not even for a pair of raptors (required driver Vista and below)
    You mean drivers for the HD controllers?
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've also been running Windows 7 since around May. Very happy with it, have had no problems at all with it.

I really like the XP Mode. I run an IP softphone that is not supported under Vista or Windows 7, it runs great in the XP mode VM and being able to launch it as a seamless window is wonderful.
  • Options
    I really like the XP Mode. I run an IP softphone that is not supported under Vista or Windows 7, it runs great in the XP mode VM and being able to launch it as a seamless window is wonderful.
    It doesn't work in W7 with XP compat mode enabled on that app?
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    It doesn't work in W7 with XP compat mode enabled on that app?

It would load the app in compatibility mode, but the audio is incredibly garbled on any transmissions going out. I could hear the caller just fine, but anything I said was very garbled both in my headset as well as the callers. It's a Nortel softphone too, so I'm not holding my breath on them releasing a compatible update.
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I just installed Windows 7 on my main desktop and so far so good. The only thing I had problems with is the migration 7 did with my old Vista files. The Windows.old thing kinda caught me by surprise, I didn't have it happen with my laptop that I switched from Vista to 7 two weeks ago. The windows.old did help with saving time of reinstalling but I wondered why they kept all the core OS Vista system files which takes up a lot of room. My drive was almost full by the time everything was done and I was reinstalling programs. I went in and deleted all the old Vista files but it gave me a hell of a lot of prompts, warnings and all that stuff; I wonder how a none savvy user would deal with doing that kind of stuff...

I just kinda wished I had a new drive to install on but money is tight right now. Does anyone know of a good imaging program that can take a snapshot or such for moving everything without using a lot of media, maybe using a networked computer for storage? Will windows backup do something such as that after reinstalling the OS?
  • Options
    It would load the app in compatibility mode, but the audio is incredibly garbled on any transmissions going out. I could hear the caller just fine, but anything I said was very garbled both in my headset as well as the callers. It's a Nortel softphone too, so I'm not holding my breath on them releasing a compatible update.
    Ah. They did do some big changes to the audio paths in Vista/W7 like ripping out the ability to have hardware accelerated audio using DirectX. I guess whatever else they did has affected this app in a big way.
  • Options
    I went to the UK Technical Launch conference today for W2K8 R2 and W7. It was pretty interesting although it was a fairly nasty journey to and from the venue. The freebie today was a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I just put Windows 7 Ultimate on the Macbook Pro that work gave me to test OSX stuff on. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif