Options

SY0-101 vs SY0-201

slim256slim256 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!! I just found this forum and it seems pretty cool. I took the 2007 version of the Security+ exam about a month or two ago. I didn't pass and got 734 out of 900. I was close but wasn't able to pass. I have been a bit discouraged and lazy and I am now studying up to retake the exam. I have the Sybex book for the 2007 version. How does it compare to the new exam? Do I need to buy the new Sybex book or should I just review some more and take it again? I'm a little nervous and don't know what to expect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Slim,

That's a tough break. I know how discouraging it can be and many people abandon the goal after one attempt. Glad to hear you're getting back on the horse...

The differences between 101 and 201 are incremental but if you missed the mark on the SY0-101 exam (even if only by a small margin), I'd recoemmend two things.

1) Change your study habits. Everyone learns and retains information differently. It could be you need to only make a minor change, but change something.

2) Use study materials geared for the SY0-201 exam. You may be able to use the older book and fill in the holes, but I'm betting you don't want to spend another $240 to $258 becuase an older book didn't have key information on new objectives (such as the value and uses of virtualization).

Darril Gibson
    www.sy0-201.com
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead

Security+ Tip of the Day
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson
  • Options
    bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Read this.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • Options
    slim256slim256 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick response. I felt confident going into the exam I just found the 101 test to be very confusing in the wording of the questions. I have heard that 201 is better. I have a bunch of review questions as well from Tech Skills. They are the certification school I am going through to get some certs. Thanks Darril, I just purchased your book and look forward to getting it in the mail.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    You're welcome, and thank you.

And yes, a common theme has been that the wording of the questions on the SY0-201 are better. People often complained that they couldn't figure out what the question was really trying to ask after taking the SY0-101 exam, but I hardly ever hear that any more.

Darril Gibson
    www.sy0-201.com
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead

Security+ Tip of the Day
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson
  • Options
    bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If the 201 is "better" I would HATE to see the wording of the 101. I seriously thought a 12 year old wrote some of the questions.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face