vlans and subnets

inc0mpleteinc0mplete Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello! I know vlans aren't too big into the CCENT, but I just wanted to understand something. I understand vlans break up broadcasts and switches have vlan1 and all ports are port of it and you can split the ports into different vlans. But in order for those vlans to communicate, you need a router. So, does each vlan on the same switch need to be on a different network?

I was a train signal video, and he split 4 ports into 2 vlans. vlan1: host1(192.168.1.2),host2(192.168.1.3) vlan2:host3(192.168.1.4),host4(192.168.1.5)

Now I understand they can't communicate cause they need a router. But isn't a router supposed traverse packets from one network to another? Both of those vlans are of 192.168.1.0/24
Security+ -> Studying.
CCNA-> Studying - GNS3 and building up equipment slowly for CCNP.:lol:
MCSE 70-290 -> On Hold.

Exploit Bank: 0
InProgress: 1

Comments

• trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    yes, generally every vlan has to have different subnet, if you want to communicate between different vlans. If you dont want to communicate between vlans then you can reuse the same subnet.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If those two VLANs never need to communicate with each other there is no technical reason to use different subnets or a router. I'd always use separate subnets to cut out any confusion or issues though.

Ah beat me to it!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • inc0mpleteinc0mplete Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok thank you. Yeah I figured they needed to have different subnets for the router to well...route lol. It just wasn't clear in the video and I just wanted to make sure!
    Security+ -> Studying.
    CCNA-> Studying - GNS3 and building up equipment slowly for CCNP.:lol:
    MCSE 70-290 -> On Hold.

Exploit Bank: 0
    InProgress: 1
  • bigheadxbigheadx Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you want the 2 VLans to talk, and if they are in different subnets, get yourself a router or use a Layer 3 switch.

If not, do as others have said.
    WIP: CCNA, BS Sys/Net Admin

Taking one byte out of computers, one bit at a time!

College Fund:
    [-/
    ] (15000)