My Server R.I.P.

lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
Well, it finally bit the dust. I looked over at the box tonight and saw the activity light on but couldnt figure out why. I bring up the video and see a BSOD.

I reboot.. or at least try to but no luck... she's gone. I knew it was going to happen soon (and built myself a new rig out of an Antec Aria case) and will use my old main rig as the PDC.

Hopefully since the chipsets are the same (Nforce2) I can get away with just moving my drives over and keeping the domain intact. If not, maybe I can get booted up enough to reinstall the OS over the top.

This bites.
I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh durn crash.gif

Hey Johan - where the funeral procession emoticon?
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Please accept my deepest condolences.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    lazyart wrote:

I reboot.. or at least try to but no luck... she's gone. I knew it was going to happen soon (and built myself a new rig out of an Antec Aria case) and will use my old main rig as the PDC.

Hopefully since the chipsets are the same (Nforce2) I can get away with just moving my drives over and keeping the domain intact. If not, maybe I can get booted up enough to reinstall the OS over the top.

Since it's the same chipset, it probably will boot and not give you the dreaded INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE blue screen that you normally see when you move drives, is it the same processor too (or somewhat close)? This is one of my complaints with the entire 2k/xp/2k3 line.... changing your HAL should *not* invalidate your ability to boot /grumble
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    That sucks.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    It was an Epox Nforce2 board, moving to an MSI Nforce2. I moved the 4 hard drives over only. The CPU is now a 1700+ vs. the 2400+ from before. Two of the drives are connected to a RAID card.

The server booted up just fine. Two issues I had:

The NIC wouldn't initialize. I eventually realized that it was looking for an IP address from 192.168.0.200, which was assigned to the onboard NIC from the old box. Once I assigned the new NIC that address the network was happy.

My RAID array showed up with the RAW filesystem. The files were still there however. I researched it a bit then decided to run a scandisk to fix filesystem errors. 10 seconds later it was NTFS all over again.

I was veeeery lucky. :)
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Yeah you were, you kept the chipset the same so the it wasn't going to complain about the drive controller being different. Good save.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=