The best way to license XP

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
I'm trying to determine the best way to license about 5 xp computers. I just took over a new site and I found out the the custom built pc's that they use never had an oem copy installed. So the guy they bought them from just used an image and deployed it to about 5 pc's. Should I just purchase a retail copy for each box or is volume licensing cheaper? Looks like Amazon sells it for about $135.

Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit for System Builders - 1 pack: Software

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If they are considering adding more systems to the office any time soon you might consider a volume license agreement. I would spec out the costs for each, though. Just make sure you are getting the downgrade rights to XP, unless your users don't mind switching to Vista or 7.

But I would also do a bit of digging and make sure they didn't purchase a volume license and just aren't aware. You can get a report from the company through from MS via reslessers like CDW. I cannot count the number of small companies like this that are unaware of what they have and how it actually works.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If they are considering adding more systems to the office any time soon you might consider a volume license agreement. I would spec out the costs for each, though. Just make sure you are getting the downgrade rights to XP, unless your users don't mind switching to Vista or 7.

But I would also do a bit of digging and make sure they didn't purchase a volume license and just aren't aware. You can get a report from the company through from MS via reslessers like CDW. I cannot count the number of small companies like this that are unaware of what they have and how it actually works.

I've spoken with the last two IT guys that worked here and they know for a fact that they dont have any vlk agreements. XP is king, we arent going to switch anytime soon.

Its almost cheaper to get something like this and just use the included downgrade license, if Im going to be adding more systems. If Im going to just rebuild/reformat a few here and there, I dont see anything that beats retail.

HP Compaq Business Desktop dc5800 - Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.6 GHz and other Desktop Computers at CDW.com