Options

AP recommendation

rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
I am researching what AP would be good for a an upgrade one of my clients is trying to do.

Right now the client has two VLAN's. One for VOIP and one for data. They are connected VIA a layer 3 Cisco switch. There is a PBX that is logically within the VOIP LAN. The client would like to add wireless phones in to the network. So in addition to the phones I need two AP's.

I prefer for the AP's to be able to pass traffic between both VLAN's. I would also like for the phones to be able to seamlessly switch between AP's based on where the user is physically at within the office. If I remember correctly I should be able to configure both AP's with the same SSID but on different channels to accomplish this?

Currently looking at the Cisco 4410N to fit these requirements. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    rsutton wrote: »
    Right now the client has two VLAN's. One for VOIP and one for data. They are connected VIA a layer 3 Cisco switch. There is a PBX that is logically within the VOIP LAN. The client would like to add wireless phones in to the network. So in addition to the phones I need two AP's.

2 APs for coverage or 2 APs -- one for voice and data? You don't need 2 unless you need to cover more area or distribute the signal differently. A single AP can do both voice & data at the same time ( see next).
    I prefer for the AP's to be able to pass traffic between both VLAN's.

The Cisco AP's can handle multiple VLANs at the same time. Set up a trunk between your wired switch and your AP. Set QoS on your voice VLAN.
    I would also like for the phones to be able to seamlessly switch between AP's based on where the user is physically at within the office. If I remember correctly I should be able to configure both AP's with the same SSID but on different channels to accomplish this?

Yes, you can roam between AP's without problems, as long as the SSID's are the same and the APs are configured to do so. You shuoldn't have to do anything fancy since they are in the same subnet.
    Currently looking at the Cisco 4410N to fit these requirements. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Not familiar with that particular model, but it should fit the bill.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    Not familiar with that particular model, but it should fit the bill.
    Its a Linksys model so all bets are off.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Its a Linksys model so all bets are off.

It's in the "Linksys Business Series" category so I'm not sure if/how that is different from their standard consumer grade products. I assume the hardware is similar to the consumer grade stuff but with enough firmware updates to provide advanced features like VLAN support/QoS etc.